Can Velvet be dormant? Can a Goby "resist" it?

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible they'd be fine as long as they're in good enough health regardless (Paul B and a number of others run their tanks on the philosophy that at as long as the fish are kept in proper conditions with proper feed, they won't die from illness), but it's also possible that it's not velvet.

Yeah, this is why Jay and others recommend doing a full fallow (45-76 days at 81F) period for the tank and a properly conducted, 30 day therapeutic copper treatment and two week observational quarantine afterwards for the fish. It's possible that the velvet could still linger after that, but the odds are extremely low.
I'm in the process of it right now. FIsh have been in the QT for about 6 days now and todays measurement should have me at 2.5ppm I was planning on the full 76 days. I dont know if 'giving up' after 45 days is worth the risk of having to start over.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible they'd be fine as long as they're in good enough health regardless (Paul B and a number of others run their tanks on the philosophy that at as long as the fish are kept in proper conditions with proper feed, they won't die from illness), but it's also possible that it's not velvet.
My problem is now I have 3 fish in QT being treated with CP, and fish still in the DT. I'm going to wait a while and see what is going to happen.

My FOWLER is empty and I just lost my favorite fish today because of QT (he couldn't handle the stress). I had to pull them all out when my puffer became ill and died.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the next iteration of "what happened after".

If you don't eradicate the disease, any incoming fish will still be susceptible to it.

When people say they can't get fish out, I throw the BS flag up. That just means I don't want to do the work, to get the fish out.

I tore my 300 apart three times last week ( 15 hours investment) in order to get the last remaining fish out. It's possible if you care enough to try.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is now I have 3 fish in QT being treated with CP, and fish still in the DT. I'm going to wait a while and see what is going to happen.

My FOWLER is empty and I just lost my favorite fish today because of QT (he couldn't handle the stress). I had to pull them all out when my puffer became ill and died.
If you don't eradicate the disease, any incoming fish will still be susceptible to it.
+1 to this.
If you treat the 3 fish and then add them back to the untreated other fish in the DT, I would guess at least the 3 fish treated fish will break out with the parasite again shortly after. So, you'd likely either end up repeating this pull out and treat process, or you'll lose some fish (likely within a month or so of re-adding the treated fish to the DT).

To actually get the parasite out of the system, you really do need to run a proper treatment and fallow. To prevent it from coming in again, the recommendation is prophylactic treatment for all fish (to kill any parasites a fish may have, seen or unseen) and quarantine for literally everything that goes into the tank (fish, snails, live rocks, live sand, corals, macro, etc.). Jay's article on biosecurity explains why this is important (and while the odds of the parasite coming in on things like corals and rocks are relatively low, it can still happen):

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just throw out there that I had my fish die from suspected velvet (happened a while ago and I forget the exact symptoms), all but a firefish were left. As I kept delaying qt’ing it to treat for velvet and fallow, the firefish eventually succumbed as well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back