can vibrant cause dinos?

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently treated my tank with vibrant to rid it of bubble algae, it worked wonders! but now I have a dino problem and all my corals seem to hate life..should i continue dosing vibrant or stop and just try raising nutrients??

nitrates = 0-5ppm, phos = 0-.028ppm

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant doesn't cause dinos. It's generally accepted that 0 or low nitrate and phosphate does. As far as I'm aware vibrant if anything, increases the nitrate and phosphate in the water by killing off the algae that had consumed it in the first place. Are you dosing anything else? How did those two get so low when they should have been climbing?

I'm hardly an expert with vibrant, but if it's 'worked wonders' it sounds like you no longer need it. Focus on the problem you have now by siphoning out what you can and raising N to a clear 5 or higher and phos to 0.05 or higher. Higher will depend on the corals you have.

Consider an emerald crab or two to eliminate the last of the bubble algae and make sure it doesn't take hold again.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant absolutely causes dinos in some scenarios, if your nutrients bottom out and there’s nothing else growing because of the vibrant dinos will pop up. Since vibrant has been around this has happened to many people. others have had it destroy dinos, it works very differently in each system.

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I had overdosed on vibrant recently. Dino’s have appeared and corals and macro algae are doing horrible. Gha has died down quite a bit. I’m sure conditions were just right for Dinos to take over . What I am doing now is just riding it out and hoping the tank balances out soon. At least by the time my algae barn macro algae comes in

OP
OP
J

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Thanks all, other than vibrant I've just been dosing alk and calcium.

I have a nuvo 10 so not really space for a refugium, meaning it sounds like either dinos or an algae will thrive in the display..even though I do weekly 10% water changes

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first issue with dinos a couple years back was sheet dosing vibrant. My understanding of it was that killing off of all the diversity in competitors asked the Dinos populatiin to explode

OP
OP
J

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first issue with dinos a couple years back was sheet dosing vibrant. My understanding of it was that killing off of all the diversity in competitors asked the Dinos populatiin to explode

thanks - what worked to battle it back without bringing back the alge?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Thanks all, other than vibrant I've just been dosing alk and calcium.

I have a nuvo 10 so not really space for a refugium, meaning it sounds like either dinos or an algae will thrive in the display..even though I do weekly 10% water changes

Or corals can thrive...they use po4 and No3 too ;)

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If vibrant caused Dino's you should be able to dose it to a tank of sea water and dinos would appear. Vibrant doesn't cause it. Changes in nutrients do.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this. Vibrant will kill off a lot of biodiversity that is a competitor to dinos. Even if you have high nutrients, dinos don’t care. They will take over until they are outcompeted by algae, bacteria, etc. This same scenario has happened to me but it was my fast battle with dinos, lasting <2 weeks.

Cmccarthy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that had more algae on the back of the tank that I cared for and I tried vibrant to see if I could reduce the amount of algae and maybe not have to do as much maintenance. At first it worked amazing. So crystal clear and I did not have to do as much cleaning of the glass. Well up popped some dinos. FWIW I believe the vibrant consumed the algae so there were no competitors or it helped the nutrients bottom out. So I am now stopping vibrant and just doing normal maintenance and the dino growth is small. I remove what I see everyday so corals are great so far. Sounds strange but once they are gone I may use vibrant again to see if the Dino’s come back.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Oh yes, vibrant can cause Dino’s . It sure did in my tank. Wished I didn’t use it at all. Started off great !! Tank was beautiful for 2 weeks clearer than clear , than Dino’s . Completely destroyed my nutrients balance

New tank is doing great , no carbon dosing or algae cure it alls. Just careful feeding and water changes

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this. Vibrant will kill off a lot of biodiversity that is a competitor to dinos. Even if you have high nutrients, dinos don’t care. They will take over until they are outcompeted by algae, bacteria, etc. This same scenario has happened to me but it was my fast battle with dinos, lasting <2 weeks.

how did you do it ?

i have the same problem
i dose it 2 time in a week cuz i had bad hair alage
but then after 2 day dino come to my system
i stoped Vibrant and i am useing now MicroBacer 7

i don't know should i use Vibrant with it as well ?
my coral start to bleach
my po4 was 0.04
after vibrant it was 0
now i am raising it
i only dose carbocalcium
i had GFO running but i stop it 2 day before Vibrant

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you do it ?

i have the same problem
i dose it 2 time in a week cuz i had bad hair alage
but then after 2 day dino come to my system
i stoped Vibrant and i am useing now MicroBacer 7

i don't know should i use Vibrant with it as well ?
my coral start to bleach
my po4 was 0.04
after vibrant it was 0
now i am raising it
i only dose carbocalcium
i had GFO running but i stop it 2 day before Vibrant
It’s a long battle and you’ll get a million different replies. I have no idea how I got over the slump to be honest.

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a long battle and you’ll get a million different replies. I have no idea how I got over the slump to be honest.
i hade it before 2 month and with high no3 and po4 its gone and got hair alage
now i used Virbant and it killed the hair alage and still some there with also dino

what did you use at that time?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hade it before 2 month and with high no3 and po4 its gone and got hair alage
now i used Virbant and it killed the hair alage and still some there with also dino

what did you use at that time?
My long story short: I had cyano. Covered all my rocks and killed lots of things. I used chemiclean and it killed the cyano. The absence of life left an open window for dinos. They took over. I fought them with UV. GHA took over for a few months. Used vibrant and it worked and dinos came back stronger. Used UV again and MB7. Manual removal. The whole nine yards. Wasn’t easy. I’m not selling my method but it worked for me over time.

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My long story short: I had cyano. Covered all my rocks and killed lots of things. I used chemiclean and it killed the cyano. The absence of life left an open window for dinos. They took over. I fought them with UV. GHA took over for a few months. Used vibrant and it worked and dinos came back stronger. Used UV again and MB7. Manual removal. The whole nine yards. Wasn’t easy. I’m not selling my method but it worked for me over time.

ok great i will still add MB7 hope it works

Cmccarthy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use Dr. Tim’s Waste Away and I manually remove every time I see it I get what I can. I don’t do water changes and I don’t clean the glass. I want other algae’s to our compete it. It seems to be working. Also gonna order a uv sterilizer as I am pretty sure mine are the ones that float in the water column at night cause right when light turns on I don’t see any.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at my wits end! I have had something in my tank for about 8 months and cant get rid of it. At one point it was everywhere on glass sand rocks corals and killed half of them. I started blowing off corals and rocks stirring up sand and i thought it was gone so I added a bunch of new expensive corals. Not only did most of them die but my older remaining remaining ones that were fine through the dinos are dying as well. I only have 2 left. What ever killed them seems too have stopped I did have salinty drop a little down to 1023 then gradually upped to 1026 then fell again (long story) now that is all over so maybe thats what killed my older corals. The new ones I received were delivered in a bad way and I waited until the end of the night to put them in tank(stupid)

I added 2 small wattage uv sterilizers to 10 gallon sump of 36 gallon tank. One is 11 watts and one is 10 watts I also increased the 2 xs a week dosing of mb7 and vibrant to every night alternating nights with each type. Could the dosing of that stuff be killing my corals?

I pretty much get why a lot of the new corals died, being they were delivered with skeltons showing ect. but why would my old ones die unless it was sality rising and falling 2 x's or increasing dosing to every night! What ever I have in tank is better and only on glass now. All my parameters are good but not sure where to go from here! The everyday dosing and the uvs hasnt got rid of it completely. Its a redish film. Its not stringy or snotty like dinos, no bubbles except on film on glass but chemclean does nothing! I manual removed it all and add chemclean and it comes right back while chemiclean is still in tank!

It all started when I dosed nopox a while back and over didi it when I should have just did a waterchange after no3 was down to 10! Po3 went 0 after dosing that! I dosed po3 for a while to get it back up. Its now at .011 I have been feeding more so nitrates would probably be very high if I wasnt doing the bacteria's!. What the heck do I do now? I dont know if I should keep up the every night dosing! How can I Identify what it is? It has gotten better and looks lik ethe deaths are over. Defietly wont be adding anything new until its all gone. It aslo maybe better becuase iI turned the lights down. My lights were stuck on all blues for 5 days until yesterday and when I turned them back up I noticed it starting back on sand! Can lights fuel the growth. Maybe its just alage but it nevers gets long like algae does! I am baffled and need advice! Appreciate any!

Sorry I wrote a journal! LOL

Should I try bubble scrubbing or would that be to rough on corals? I also have dinox but scared to use it!

I have had alk rise and fall a little. I shouldnt need to dose since frags are small but it was falling so I started dosin then it got high then backed down. then fell again! It cant decide whether I need to dose or not because sometimes it maintains for a long time. Sometimes it dosnt! Does dinos consume alk?

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back