Can we assume that all jawbreakers will eventually colour up?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some shrooms just have poor genes. Below is a kryptonite that I bought as s baby that was solid green. It’s produced 10 babies and none have gotten the dark purple. It took a year for this one streak to develop. All babies remain solid green to date.
8BE88411-390F-497B-B2F4-E301FA4D76C3.jpeg

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I’ve seen it happen both ways, bland, no red jawbreakers that grow and morph into complete show stoppers. And some bland, no red jawbreakers never develops much color. It really depends on the lineage of the shroom and the tank enviorment aka light/nutrients/flow. Usually shrooms that come from a mother with a lot of color will have a better chance of producing babies with color already or have the ability to grow into something that the mothers look like. But I’ve also seen no color JBs that come from crazy looking mothers that develop into something like their mothers from nothing. That’s what makes these shrooms so unique imo, You never know what you will get like a box of chocolates lol

8958A41C-211B-471A-BFB6-69EA73090FB5.jpeg

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting post indeed. From my experience with shrooms alot of mis -classification happens with them. Originally Jawbreaker meant the pattern exhibited like the pie slice of a diff color, alot of diff coral comes in this style pattern , warpaint would be another example of a pattern , not the colors , but the pattern . Colors can be different between the patterns . Some discosoma are jawbreaker pattern with yellow and the red jawbreaker pie slice'(s) and possibly some green/purple in there also, but are fully colored up from the jump grow quickly split rapidly and stay smaller than 2" Then you have "Steel" mushrooms which come in all the colors patterns ect, and are discosoma also just a diff variety and they grow very slow and gain their color/pattern as they get older most people call these Eclectus shroom they can take years to develop and get massive. This is also why people charge like 300 for a "jawbreaker" and 1000 for and Eclectus with "jawbreaker color/pattern" I hope this helps clear up the OP's ?
Would this be considered a Jawbreaker or Eclectus? It's about 4 years old.

Attachments

• Jawbreaker.jpg
    Jawbreaker.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 89

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression jawbreakers developed the color over time started orangeish yellow and after about 6 months started developing red streaks and about a year or developing green streaks. And eclectus shrooms starts with all the colors just refines the color pattern over time.
Here’s 1 year old jawbreaker (top)a baby eclectus shroom (bottom)
F3A20C10-065F-46BA-8ED0-923D955819D6.jpeg
6CEDB6D2-08DA-41A9-A289-510BC359F71A.jpeg
I think you are right! I just bought a jawbreaker and has some streaks of red coming in even though its a buger but crazy bright yellowish orange. I used to have an electus about the same size and it was all colored up already. It was t gorgeous and I am still sick over losing it! My fault for not putting a baby in a cage immediately!

I used to loose shroom a lot but finally caught on..lol. I also lost a regular jawbreaker too that got lost in the tank back when I didnt cage them, and a neptune, reef koi, so now I am replacing them all and have got some great deals but cant get an electus now for under 200 and I only paid 120 back in dec and man was it colored up!

I think the regular jawbreakers that gain color later are called polettis! Does anyone know? I also got a purple and orange deadpool and another labeled deadpool but just bright orange. Looks like a candyrush to me, but I added to my order because it was a good price!

I have only had some of my shrooms for 6 months top and none have made babies1 How can anyone let them move around and leave pieces of the foot to make babies without the fear of the getting sucked down in the sock or never being seen again? I hate the ugly boxes in my tankn but to scared of losing them. I have my og loose but hes getting pretty big! I would die if I lost him!

I saw a youtube of someone cutting of a piece of the foot and he said thats how he propagtes them!

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the regular jawbreakers that gain color later are called polettis! Does anyone know?

The original Jawbreaker has lineage to Mark Poletti, and any random “Jawbreaker” type mushroom should not be referenced as such unless the lineage leads back to Mark.

That said, yes the original Poletti Jawbreaker colors up over time usually starting out orange, sometimes already with red. Most of the solid orange ones usually develop some red and later maybe green, the small ones with red and or green already present usually color up nicer and faster.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression jawbreakers developed the color over time started orangeish yellow and after about 6 months started developing red streaks and about a year or developing green streaks. And eclectus shrooms starts with all the colors just refines the color pattern over time.
Here’s 1 year old jawbreaker (top)a baby eclectus shroom (bottom)
F3A20C10-065F-46BA-8ED0-923D955819D6.jpeg
6CEDB6D2-08DA-41A9-A289-510BC359F71A.jpeg
I am confused. The top is an eclectus and the bottom is what?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back