Can we beat uronema?

surfer4329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new melanarus wrasse (received 1 week ago) from an online vendor. The wrasse had developed what looks like uronema on his left side behind his gills. Picture below. I was told by the curator of the fish store to put him in QT tank with low salinity (SG 1.021). I gave him a fresh water dip, added him to the recommended low salinity QT tank and I am currently doing a copper treatment like a notmal QT tank for 10 days with tea tree oil (Melafix) treatments every other day for three treatments total at 10 min per treatment. I will also be using metro antibiotic during the whole treatment to prevent secondary infections and help his open ulcer heal itself. I will keep you all posted.

Here is a fascinating video I watched for how to treat uronema and the results are impressive.

IMG_0999.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uronema - in this case would be internal - and this doesn't exactly look like it - however - assuming it is there is very little you can do - the low salinity, etc will not help

OP
OP
S

surfer4329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the optimism. Uronema presents as red ulcers or sores. The point of this thread is to show if what has been shown to be effective using Melafix (tea tree oil). I will document progress.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the optimism. Uronema presents as red ulcers or sores. The point of this thread is to show if what has been shown to be effective using Melafix (tea tree oil). I will document progress.
The first step in 'beating uronema' - is proving that it's uronema in the first place. Let's ask some more of the fish medics to comment. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081. PS if you are trying to an experiment as compared to asking for advice - you can ask one of the mods to move your post to the experimental section.

OP
OP
S

surfer4329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1: Noticed lesion. Fish hiding all day in substrate. Acting funny.
Day 2: Managed to capture wrasse and fresh water dipped. Then put in QT tank with full dose cupramine.
Day 3: Lesion now open ulcer (as expected) See picture below. Did recommended Melafix bath for 15 min and added erythromycin treatment. Fish is happy and eating like a pig.

IMG_1009.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That lesion does not look like typical Uronema. Those are typically more linear. Diagnosing Uronema accurately requires a biopsy though.

Melafix cannot work on inter-cellular Uronema because it would never reach it. Kind of like rubbing aspirin on your arm to treat a headache.

Formalin works on the external form of Uronema as seen in seahorses, but it also cannot get to the internal version - once that erupts to the skin, the damage has already been done deeper down.
Low salinity should be avoided with Uronema, that protozoan thrives in brackish water.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back