can we override the conductivity probe reading from Neptune system

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

its clear that when you start having a problem with your conductivity probe from Neptune there is no coming back and it will always be faulty i have been trying to celebrate it for the last one month and no luck with is basically i left it to dry over night and then try calibrate it again and again and its hopeless to do so so my salinity stuck on 46 all the times
my question is :
1- he can we make sure that the probe is defective and need replacement.
2- can we override the reading of the probe and add the numbers manually just to set the salinity on 35ppt.
Screenshot_20220722_105152_com.neptunesystems.apexfusion.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know any way to manually enter the salinity. It sounds like your probe needs to be replaced. I also have a digital refractometer I use weekly to make sure my probe is working.

andye81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have the salinty probe, but reading posts in R2R it seems like most people have issues with them.

I read that people have had success with ensuring a steady flow of water with no bubbles at the sensor. Using the salinity probe stability kit from vividcreativeaquatics

Hopefully there are some people here with experience with this probe.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have the salinty probe, but reading posts in R2R it seems like most people have issues with them.

I read that people have had success with ensuring a steady flow of water with no bubbles at the sensor. Using the salinity probe stability kit from vividcreativeaquatics

Yes about checking for air bubbles. I forgot to mention that.

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know any way to manually enter the salinity. It sounds like your probe needs to be replaced. I also have a digital refractometer I use weekly to make sure my probe is working.
thanks dear but im talking about Neptune conductivity probe

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hi dear yes this is a good kit for the small flactuation not even 1 ppt the problem here the probe it self cant be calibrate any more

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks dear but im talking about Neptune conductivity probe
I know you’re talking about the Neptune conductivity probe. I use the refractometer to compare to the Neptune probe. I’d suggest getting a new probe. Sounds like yours is no good. Hope that solves the problem!

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you’re talking about the Neptune conductivity probe. I use the refractometer to compare to the Neptune probe. I’d suggest getting a new probe. Sounds like yours is no good. Hope that solves the problem!
New one is $200 I need to make sure that this one is faulty

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you manually calibrate the probe, does it read zero at that point in the calibration?
I soak mine in vinegar for a while before calibration.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stick mine in my calibration solution every month and see what it reads and then make sure my tank is within 1 ppt of that or so. Trying to chase the number is just a waste of money from what i've seen. It's really only meant to catch large problems like a stuck ATO or leak which it can do even if the actual number isn't correct.

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you manually calibrate the probe, does it read zero at that point in the calibration?
I soak mine in vinegar for a while before calibration.
i need to try soak it in vinegar for 15 minutes and then try to do the calibration one more time thanks

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stick mine in my calibration solution every month and see what it reads and then make sure my tank is within 1 ppt of that or so. Trying to chase the number is just a waste of money from what i've seen. It's really only meant to catch large problems like a stuck ATO or leak which it can do even if the actual number isn't correct.
im not chasing any number her but my probe is reading 45ppt instead of 35ppt and i need to fix it for me to be able to trust the reading

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the problem is not the stability the problem of the reading of the numbers it self my probe is reading 46ppt instead of 35ppt and i cant calibrate it
Oh okay! How long have you had it for? Contact Apex support and they may be able to help especially if it’s still under warranty. And even if it’s not still contact them! You can also buy a replacement.

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay! How long have you had it for? Contact Apex support and they may be able to help especially if it’s still under warranty. And even if it’s not still contact them! You can also buy a replacement.
one year plus not much the problem it was working fine but i thought i should calibrate it and since that i have it reading 46ppt and cant get it to read back the right number

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Soak it in citric acid (less aggressive than vinegar) for 30 min-1 hour. This will soften/ dissolve any deposits. Then blow some water over it to remove any gunk.

If you do the manual calibration, you can see the actual conductivity (before it is converted). When it is dry it should read 0. Then it should change to a big number when you put it in saltwater. I don’t remember the saltwater number, but it is not like 5-10… it is a big number… I think hundreds. If it is not showing 0 when dry or not changing to a big number when wet… it is the probe.

Also make sure to unplug and plug back in the probe from the head. If there is any corrosion it can lead to issues.

Lastly… I prefer to calibrate to my tank water. Make sure the tank is dead on 35 by another trusted method. Also… you need to have flow over the sensor. Either the SPS kit, natural flow or just a little power head. The probe needs to be calibrated with the flow on it as the flow will effect the value.

OP
OP
Khalilkaram

Khalilkaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak it in citric acid (less aggressive than vinegar) for 30 min-1 hour. This will soften/ dissolve any deposits. Then blow some water over it to remove any gunk.

If you do the manual calibration, you can see the actual conductivity (before it is converted). When it is dry it should read 0. Then it should change to a big number when you put it in saltwater. I don’t remember the saltwater number, but it is not like 5-10… it is a big number… I think hundreds. If it is not showing 0 when dry or not changing to a big number when wet… it is the probe.

Also make sure to unplug and plug back in the probe from the head. If there is any corrosion it can lead to issues.

Lastly… I prefer to calibrate to my tank water. Make sure the tank is dead on 35 by another trusted method. Also… you need to have flow over the sensor. Either the SPS kit, natural flow or just a little power head. The probe needs to be calibrated with the flow on it as the flow will effect the value.
Thank you so Jon I will do that and I will keep you posted

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back