Can you add a bottle of good bacteria to a established reef tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of anecdotal reports that vibrant works for turf algae - and many that say fluconazole does not so - I think the jury is out - from what I read - do get rid of turf algae - the best plan is t use it 2x/week.
They asked and I posted the link. That's it and that's all!!! :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my turf algae. Started with rock scrubbing and Vibrant. More scrubbing, moved rock into the sump. Killed a lot of corals, then got a frag with AeFw, dipped and scrubbed, got purge, shut myself off and cut down in water changes. Scrubbing, tossing stubborn turf rock, ignoring the tank for +1 year and then started doing water changes, added a few more tangs, a foxface, some Peppermint shrimp for the Aptasia and slowly turf faded away. Then the cyanoalgae broke in like a distroyer and I used ChemiClean twice with water changes and keeping up with water changes now and then the algae is gone. No reason for it to be gone, the phosphorus has always been two or ten times hirer than 0.05 recommendations and nitrate always detected although recently saw nitrates creeping back up with cyano return so I got some MB7 and did a minor water change and will keep doing small changes until Nitrates are at 10ppm.

Turf, I’d try Fluc.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole never killed my variety of turf even at 3x recommended dosage. I had to start the whole tank over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back