OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so that's a lot of people that raise their hand to admit they can't grow acro in a new tank. I'm still looking for people that believe they can and would be willing to talk about it. Of course I will continue to post pictures of this tank as things go but I'm not asking for anyone that could have a show tank in 2 months. Anyone can do that as well imo. Algae is not an enemy and I honestly don't know why it gets so much hate. Whether i pull it out or don't will have no affect on this acro which is why I demonstrated scraping the glass and allowing a ton of algae to go wherever it wants. No water change. And yet I'm still told my acro will die. It might one day but it hasn't yet and I don't believe it will. I appreciate everyone's input but again if you believe you can grow an acro in a new tank I'd be interested in learning about what you did and your processes because I want to make mine better. I'm not interested in convincing anyone of anything.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, click bait thread.
Of coarse you can and I can.
This thread shows new reefers the wrong way to do things just to say you did it.
Everyone should just pass on by. Nothing to see here.
IMO.
You say you can, you have a build thread I can see that demonstrates this so I can check it out? Thanks.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that most people in the hobby with a lot of experience would not be so sure of how the tank is going to turn out "in the long run" because they know there are way too many variables...some of which not easily known or controlled. One of those scenarios the more you know then the more you realize how little you know......

You are 2 years into the hobby. Personally I would not call that long enough to see how a tank turns out in the long run yet alone to have seen multiple tanks through to "the long run"

In any case I am not arguing against the possibility of growing acros in a new tank with dry rock successfully. I have done it and am sure I will again. I also don't think it is the best approach...and certainly not an approach to advertise as being "certain"...as results in this hobby are far from guaranteed in the best of conditions.
That's the funny thing about experience. I've met a lot of people that have done things for 30 years and still suck so I don't put much stock in experience and would wrather see some better examples such as what I'm demonstrating and willing to be mocked for. People are simultaneously telling me here that anyone could do this and also my corals will die because no one can do this not even me. Odd.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1670171530157.png
I'm serious. Are you able to grow acro in a newish tank? Willing to share how? Thanks.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that most people in the hobby with a lot of experience would not be so sure of how the tank is going to turn out "in the long run" because they know there are way too many variables...some of which not easily known or controlled. One of those scenarios the more you know then the more you realize how little you know......

You are 2 years into the hobby. Personally I would not call that long enough to see how a tank turns out in the long run yet alone to have seen multiple tanks through to "the long run"

In any case I am not arguing against the possibility of growing acros in a new tank with dry rock successfully. I have done it and am sure I will again. I also don't think it is the best approach...and certainly not an approach to advertise as being "certain"...as results in this hobby are far from guaranteed in the best of conditions.
Regarding your question.... New hobbyists don't know how to keep those water parameters stable (as well as of host of other things they are learning). Time and patience are the magic in this hobby.

Experienced reefers know how to adjust for this, but they know things get better even as they adjust those new tanks for optimum performance.

There is an ASSUMPTION that new tank = new reefer / new hobbyist ... as the zillions of seasoned hobbyists aren't posting each additional new tank they put up.

Also experienced reefers don't normally post hair algae overgrowth photos implying 'look what's working for me' ... because to most people what you are showing above isn't their definition of 'working correctly' ... and some would say it lets new people think that is acceptable and so they try and then more new people are crashing tanks and killing their coral animals (sad).

A friend of mine just crossed the 50 tank line when his family left him home while they traveled back East a couple weeks... grown man/husband/father no longer allowed to be left home alone again... but that is another (hysterical!! story). I lay claim to having TWO tanks, maybe FOUR tanks if I count my picos, but I do not count my cultures as tanks... but my family does... so that would have me at 8 setup right now (with capacity to double that in an afternoon if I could find space...) I share his 50 count tank thread opportunity because while maybe someone out there is doing threads for ALL their tanks once they cross some imaginary line (likely before 60, its the exception.

Instead, I think the more important question to most is not COULD but SHOULD... and for a new hobbyist I don't think they should be led to think it is a possibility...

Majority of seasoned people are going to see your hair algae photos and not bother to read what you wrote once someone else responds. They are here trying to help the new people. New people are going to see your hair algae with two week old tank and stick and go... hmmm... already went down that rabbit hole above.

Instead, would you consider using those photos in a build thread where when you have those tiny frag sticks growing in hair algae, then when those sticks have grown into fist size, baseball sized, volleyball sized colonies, show those comparable pictures saying - had experience already, started here but ended up here... power in photos.

Looking forward to seeing your successful coral colonies!
Lots of good info and I agree with a lot of it. I already have a build thread going on my other tank if interested in seeing a build thread. This tank is set up very similarly. Thanks for replying!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the argument about wrong signaling to newbies odd. Is that what this forum is trying to be? A guide for new people and experts should keep their secrets to themselves to not confuse anyone?

Might as well say that talking about acros at all sends the wrong signal and their care should be kept secret from unsuspecting newbies who might lose money on them

If a forum only caters to new people, eventually the veterans get bored and the forum dies... Not just in this hobby

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the argument about wrong signaling to newbies odd. Is that what this forum is trying to be? A guide for new people and experts should keep their secrets to themselves to not confuse anyone?

Might as well say that talking about acros at all sends the wrong signal and their care should be kept secret from unsuspecting newbies who might lose money on them

If a forum only caters to new people, eventually the veterans get bored and the forum dies... Not just in this hobby
You have 100% put into words exactly what I've been feeling. Thanks for your comment.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I don't think that was the intent of that other post. It is more cautionary. Again, I think you can grow coral in a new tank, but you have to be meticulous and zealous about everything. That being said, most new people aren't. So they might buy an acro, fail and then throw in the towel.

Honestly, there are cycles a tank does after being set up and BRS did a speech at reefapalooza of experiments with multiple tanks with dinos, cycling and all that and it was fascinating

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's a reason you don't see many responses of people sharing tips for growing acro in a new algae tank - bc very few people do it that way. Like I said last time, there's countless variables that influence how corals grow and even the latest science is still just scratching the surface with their research on reef bleaching. Also there is this statistical concept called "survivorship biase" that basically goes something like this - assume 30 people tried to do what you did, 15 of their tanks crashed after 1 month and they gave up on the hobbie altogether. Out of the remaining 15, 14 of them struggled along and joined this forum to see what they did wrong and changed their approach, 8 of the 14 ended up with the more traditional approach and succeeded with a long term reef tank (these are the 8 responding to your post saying how its hard and not recommended). The one other person out of the 30 also succeeded with your approach and responded with his success affirming your belief, but that does not paint the whole picture of the 29 other people that failed with your approach.

Even in a mature tank, we can control maybe 10-15 of the KNOWN variables out of perhaps 20 to 30+? And only the reef gods know how many unknown variables that have yet to be discovered. In a new tank that becomes even more difficult.

Maybe this analogy can help - what you are asking is like asking if anyone has been successfully baking cookies without an oven. can it be done?? Sure , you just need to control the 3 variables- heat, humidity, and time. Do it right you can bake cookies with a blown torch, water bottle, and stone plate.

At the end of the day, it your tank and do as you like. If you want to be the first person to claim you made blow torch cookies, go right ahead. Just document your exact steps and let's see results at the 6 month and 12 month marks. If its successful, then the scientific method also stipulates that it be repeatable, so after a number of other people also achieve similar success, then well know that you are on to something. Otherwise, your success is still just a luck of the draw.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that was the intent of that other post. It is more cautionary. Again, I think you can grow coral in a new tank, but you have to be meticulous and zealous about everything. That being said, most new people aren't. So they might buy an acro, fail and then throw in the towel.

Honestly, there are cycles a tank does after being set up and BRS did at reefapalooza of experiments with multiple tanks with dinos, cycling and all that and it was fascinating
I'm not meticulous and zealous about any of this to be honest with you. Brs has helped me to understand a lot so I really do appreciate their videos.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you? Probably? Is it easy? Probably not.
example:
At 6 month mark, no coralline, bought $10 birds nest frag. It grew for a bit but eventually red slime, cyano, GHA, or something eventually started growing faster that it did and grew over it.

tried again at 8 month mark and same thing, now I’m 10 months and have a green digitata and cali tort that have been showing new growth over the last 2 weeks. Coralline started growing around the 8-9 month mark.

I did no kind of dosing or additives other than ab+ and a ton of phyto. Now that coralline algae is growing I’m doing reef fusion part 1/2 to maintain calcium levels.

Pics of dead birds nest first try and current happy acros, ignore third white SPS it went sideways during shipping and was out of water and I’m trying to see if it’s completely dead before I toss it

4201BF65-68E4-4C1F-B82C-315B39E49652.jpeg C9A95EA0-090D-4D48-979D-81D22CA17F92.jpeg

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's a reason you don't see many responses of people sharing tips for growing acro in a new algae tank - bc very few people do it that way. Like I said last time, there's countless variables that influence how corals grow and even the latest science is still just scratching the surface with their research on reef bleaching. Also there is this statistical concept called "survivorship biase" that basically goes something like this - assume 30 people tried to do what you did, 15 of their tanks crashed after 1 month and they gave up on the hobbie altogether. Out of the remaining 15, 14 of them struggled along and joined this forum to see what they did wrong and changed their approach, 8 of the 14 ended up with the more traditional approach and succeeded with a long term reef tank (these are the 8 responding to your post saying how its hard and not recommended). The one other person out of the 30 also succeeded with your approach and responded with his success affirming your belief, but that does let paint the whole picture of the 29 other people that failed with your approach.

Even in a mature tank, we can control maybe 10-15 of the KNOWN variables out of perhaps 20 to 30+? And only the reef gods know how many unknown variables that have yet to be discovered. In a new tank that becomes even more difficult.

Maybe this analogy can help - what you are asking is like asking if anyone has been successfully baking cookies without an oven. can it be done?? Sure , you just need to control the 3 variables- heat, humidity, and time. Do it right you can bake cookies with a blown torch, water bottle, and stone plate.

At the end of the day, it your tank and do as you like. If you want to be the first person to claim you made blow torch cookies, go right ahead. Just document your exact steps and let's see results at the 6 month and 12 month marks. If its successful, then the scientific method also stipulates that it be repeatable, so after a number of other people also achieve similar success, then well know that you are on to something. Otherwise, your success is still just a luck of the draw.
My success might be luck of the draw which is why I'm looking for more people to understand what exactly is going on. Can you personally set up a new tank and grow an acro in it in a couple months? I'm demonstrating that I am and looking for others to make the process better. Maybe even eliminate the algae and have the same results? This is why I need more input from others. But sadly it doesn't seem like many people believe they can do this.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you? Probably? Is it easy? Probably not.
example:
At 6 month mark, no coralline, bought $10 birds nest frag. It grew for a bit but eventually red slime, cyano, GHA, or something eventually started growing faster that it did and grew over it.

tried again at 8 month mark and same thing, now I’m 10 months and have a green digitata and cali tort that have been showing new growth over the last 2 weeks. Coralline started growing around the 8-9 month mark.

I did no kind of dosing or additives other than ab+ and a ton of phyto. Now that coralline algae is growing I’m doing reef fusion part 1/2 to maintain calcium levels.

Pics of dead birds nest first try and current happy acros, ignore third white SPS it went sideways during shipping and was out of water and I’m trying to see if it’s completely dead before I toss it

4201BF65-68E4-4C1F-B82C-315B39E49652.jpeg C9A95EA0-090D-4D48-979D-81D22CA17F92.jpeg
Thanks for sharing. I've also had a horrible past experiences with birds nest! I've lost probably 4 or 5. But! My last one that was half dead is finally growing for me and re emcrusting it's old skeleton. Birds nest has been my greatest challenge and acros have been much easier for me. Don't feel bad about it at all. We have to break some eggs to learn.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u start with dry rock va if you start with live rock is a huge variable to address. Dry rock is not covered in anything, and something will cover it. The algae that is easiest to grow in whatever “poor situation” a new tank is harboring can and will quickly cover the dry rock. Then it’s uphill battle for the next 6 months to a year. Start with all live rock and you’ve got established layer of life on rock surface so algae have harder time to get established and you can grow the hood stuff easier without the bad stuff getting in the way.

now does everyone have the $$$ to start with all live rock, no. But if you really want an easy introduction to the hobby, soak your rock or run your stuff for months without any kind of light so the dry rock doesn’t grow the first algae that it can

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you? Sure.

I realize you’re half just stirring the pot but I’ll indulge.

i see a few things you’ve shown that indicate you will not have long term success doing so.

68 days is not much. I see white rocks and lots of hair algae which tells me you cranked up the lights enough to support that acro too early.

Do you not have snails/clean up crew? Are you doing water changes? Why have you let the hair get out of control?

I agree with Jake Adams in that adding corals to a new tank can help much more in a positive direction (especially one with dry rock) as it adds biodiversity, seeds coralline algaes, etc. I don’t believe what you’re showing us is a good example.

I have a 10g coral QT tank I started 6 months ago I’ve found successful at getting off the ground. It’s full of live rock, barebottom, has a few turbo snails (these help a new tank immensely with hair algae before it get to plague status), gets 5g weekly water changes, and I ran the light very low until coralline started and wasn’t seeing green algae.

A6F8AE6C-072E-45F0-9377-5AC2B210B7C3.jpeg

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone's input but guys stop getting hung up on the algae. It's a visual nuisance is all. I'm asking about growing corals not how to remove algae. Here's a couple pics of one of my tanks that I do care about how it looks visually. Algae exists and it's not a big deal. So who can show me them growing acros in a new tank and help me learn to further my own knowledge. Thanks all.
ACB18978-578D-4160-B0C9-04A30D76A497.jpeg
7E919102-6AD9-497F-A7B1-101F73D4C9F5.jpeg
DBBDB997-67F1-42E4-B6DC-3095CCED629A.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My success might be luck of the draw which is why I'm looking for more people to understand what exactly is going on. Can you personally set up a new tank and grow an acro in it in a couple months? I'm demonstrating that I am and looking for others to make the process better. Maybe even eliminate the algae and have the same results? This is why I need more input from others. But sadly it doesn't seem like many people believe they can do this.
I dont think people have the kind of answers you are looking for unless you ask someone from a marine biology lab. Most of us are drawing from our own failed experiences when our tanks were younger. When my tank was at 2 months old, I can't even keep a torch alive - it looked happy for 3 months then one day half of the colony died overnight. In hindsight I know at least some of what I did wrong: my ph was not optimal, my "big 3" was not stable (wasn't autodosing) and didn't have biodiversity (large uncontrolled algae growth of 1 type is classic sign of lacking biodiversity). Now, if you were to control for those 3 factors i mentioned, i still can't tell you if that'll lead to success bc I never done it. I recently set up a frag tank thats been going strong for 4 months, 0 problems, and now some of the frags need fragging themself. Is it a "new" tank? Maybe? But I'm banking on the success of this tank having more to do with sharing the same plumbing (and therefore same chemical and biological parameters) as my mature tank, more that any other special procedures that I did to the frag tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back