Can you keep a starfish in a packed reef tank?

Joe's 220 Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2019
Messages
142
Reaction score
114
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 220 gallon reef and the sand bed has a lot of coral on it. Can I keep a serpent or brittle star in a tank like
this? My only concern is that they may not have enough room to move around. Anyone keep a star like this and did it work or no? I don’t want to put one in if will not work for them. Any advice based on experience would help. Thanks
Below is a picture of what most of my tank looks like with coral

ADD24DB0-0DBD-4A80-9682-3CFC9A4EEF58.jpeg
 
Believe me, you absolutely can. Be careful with serpent/brittle stars as a few species have no problem killing and eating your fish. Here’s my little star and a FTS for reference on how packed this tank is
59E8D9CB-1786-4A49-BFA5-126103D153B6.jpeg
3F097161-D99C-481F-9880-73C3D43D7370.jpeg
91555546-5E2C-42BF-A8CB-E8F3B1E796D4.jpeg
 
I have two fancy brittles in my 235g tank. I never see them unless they’re called out for cuc purposes. If your goal is sand bed maintenance I’d suggest adding nassarius. If your goal is strengthening your cuc go with the brittle. If you just want a star, I’m sorry and don’t know what would be best. I have no experience with the serpents either but have read more than once about them preying on fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new