Can you keep only one of ...

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you only buy one of certain types of fish (normally bought in schools or pairs), such as

- chromis
- anthias
- banggai cardinal
- percula clown

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You save money and the fish will not have anyone of its own kind to hangout with. For the most part that’s not a big problem because often if you start with a school of these fish the most dominant one will kill all the other ones if it doesn’t like them. If you start with many and end up with 2 they are probably going to be a mating pair. If you start with one then it can be harder to add more later if you decide you want more.

OP
OP
betareef

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You save money and the fish will not have anyone of its own kind to hangout with. For the most part that’s not a big problem because often if you start with a school of these fish the most dominant one will kill all the other ones if it doesn’t like them. If you start with many and end up with 2 they are probably going to be a mating pair. If you start with one then it can be harder to add more later if you decide you want more.

Money isn't the issue. It's having variety in a small tank that I am aiming for.

Good point about buying a few, then ending up with one only.

Noted, that buying one means I can't get another later.

thanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money isn't the issue. It's having variety in a small tank that I am aiming for.

Good point about buying a few, then ending up with one only.

Noted, that buying one means I can't get another later.

thanks.
I think you are on the right path, a pair of breeding fishes will often cause a lot of problems trying to protect their nests.

OP
OP
betareef

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on the right path, a pair of breeding fishes will often cause a lot of problems trying to protect their nests.

Yes, I had that thought as well. Don't really have room, nor want, that happening.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What happens if you only buy one of certain types of fish (normally bought in schools or pairs), such as

- chromis
- anthias
- banggai cardinal
- percula clown
Chromis typically fight and one or more may not make it once that starts
Anthias- Once you have a dominant male- problems begin (they can change sexes)
Banggai- I recommend one or larger numbers as you will again get one dominant male at times
Percula - Territorial and larger being female often aggressive. Larger numbers do help

OP
OP
betareef

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added two new fish to the tank.

I already had one percula clown, left from a pair, and a yellow clown goby. I went to a local shop and there were many options.

I really like the unusual shape of a scissortail goby. The picture on the net do not do the colours justice either. The bright neon blue around the eye, and the yellow dorsal fin (and in the tail), offset the dark grey/blue/black of the body.

Next I wanted something that swam about a lot, so I had in mind a chromis. The prettiest by far was a vanderbilt chromis.

So the vanderbilt chromis and scissortail boby came home with me and have settled in. The vanderbilt is a instant star. He swims everywhere and that encourages the percula to do more swimming around the tank as well. Bonus.

The scissortail goby is timid, and swims behind a favourite rock if you walk past the tank quickly, but soon comes out again. All are feeding and tank looks good.

OP
OP
betareef

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of snaps of how they nicely fill the tank.

IMG_20240304_095546430.jpg
IMG_20240304_095548663.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back