Can you program the Apex to react to Tunze's Optical Sensor

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Hope you have been having awesome reefing days! I got a question for y'all that I couldn't find a good answer to, on the internet - likely because of my limited Googling-skills, so here goes -

"Can you provide a mechanism by which I can make the optical sensor in my Tunze 3155 ATO send an On-Off signal to Apex, or any plug-point"?

A bit of background - I have begun auto-dosing various fluids to my tank:
  1. Kalkwasser (salt-less liquid)
  2. Calcium/Magnesium - Part A (salt-less liquid)
  3. Alkalinity/Trace - Part B (salt-less liquid but with #2 creates salt)
  4. 3 live Phyto Planktons (salty liquid)
  5. 2 live zoo planktons (salty liquid)
In combination they add 1 gallon of liquid to my tank, daily, and I want to make sure that I don't overrun my evaporation rate. Since my doses are a combination of salty and salt-less liquids - Salinity is an imprecise method of control, but for want of a better solution, is my current solution. Ideally I would like to use an optical sensor to idiot-proof this setup.

The Neptune Optical sensors have a lot of mixed reviews, but the Tunze Optical Sensor is time tested and near-flawless. So I am inclined to employ Tunze's sensors (and I already have one - courtesy my Tunze 3155).

Is there a way I can make my Tunze Optial sensor send an Alarm to my Apex/and or otherwise turn on/off a plug-point? -

Eg: can I read the power being drawn from from the Tunze 3155 plug-point (on my Apex Energy Bar EB832) - and control my dosing plug-point socket (which is also on the Apex Energy Bar)?

Thank you, for your help on this.

- Gogol

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if someone can help you

@SuncrestReef

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could take the tunze box apart and wire the sensors to a breakout box or do other diy wiring to bring the signals computed by the tunze over to the apex

Would be a very expensive way to get those sensors though

Edit: come to think of it, there's a plug socket from tunze you can use instead of the pump, but not sure if that exists for us plugs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could take the tunze box apart and wire the sensors to a breakout box or do other diy wiring to bring the signals computed by the tunze over to the apex

Would be a very expensive way to get those sensors though

Edit: come to think of it, there's a plug socket from tunze you can use instead of the pump, but not sure if that exists for us plugs
Thanks for that Plug Socket idea elysics!! You are the best. Thank you!! Here is item (see link) on BRS' website. Might be just the thing that I am looking for. Link

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back