Can Zoanthids Kill Fish?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2019
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
390
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that people blame their zoa's for sudden fish death. I know they have a powerful toxin. I also know many people keep them in their reef aquarium. What would make a zoa release that toxin? Wouldn't it wipe the entire tank if it did?
 
Some angelfish eat zoas and stay alive and I never heard of it nuking the tank
 
Right now I'm trying to figure out if my new zoa frags (7), just killed all my fish. I have a 240 gallon tank, with about another 100 gallon sump. All my fish suddenly died. My anemones are fine, zoas are fine, but all my fish are dead.
 
I've read that people blame their zoa's for sudden fish death. I know they have a powerful toxin. I also know many people keep them in their reef aquarium. What would make a zoa release that toxin? Wouldn't it wipe the entire tank if it did?
Lots of things get blamed for unexplained deaths. I'll let someone more knowledgeable explain the toxin. I know cutting crushing etc releases the toxin. I've never heard of it nuking a tank. I have plucked tens of palys off the back wall before with no ill effects to any tank inhabitants
Right now I'm trying to figure out if my new zoa frags (7), just killed all my fish. I have a 240 gallon tank, with about another 100 gallon sump. All my fish suddenly died. My anemones are fine, zoas are fine, but all my fish are dead.

Sorry to hear of the deaths. I've never heard of zoas killing fish and a lot of folks have zoas. Have you added anything recently that could have brought in disease? Contaminants from aerosol etc. I would look elsewhere for the cause of death.
You may want to start a thread in the fish disease forum with as much info as you can provide.
 
Right now I'm trying to figure out if my new zoa frags (7), just killed all my fish. I have a 240 gallon tank, with about another 100 gallon sump. All my fish suddenly died. My anemones are fine, zoas are fine, but all my fish are dead.
Probably some illness that got in your tank, its not zoas. The only thing zoas have ever killed in my tank were emerald crabs who were eating them
 
Not sure i've ever heard that, definitely never experienced it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new