Candy Basslet: is it worth the price?

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these guys come in very vibrant and for some reason fade a bit pretty quickly within a few months. My theory is they are deep water fish and not used to lighting we keep in our reef tanks. I had a swales swissguard basslet that was just as vibrant as any of these I've seen, but I've also seen some not so impressive. Since seeing a few examples of both, I'd never spend the money on one. But some people like telling others how much they spend on a fish.
I've had the exact opposite experience. My Candy that's been in my tank for about 4 years, purchased from a fellow reefer who'd had him for over a year, is huge and extremely vibrant. I just got a pair from Pacific Island Aquatics and they are quite pale in comparison. They are little guys. I am curious if they will "color up" as they grow.

I have a couple of basslets and while I love my pets they usually only come out at night or stick to the caves during the day. So if you're looking for a fish that swims around the front of the tank and puts on a good show the candy basslet is not that type of fish.

I think this really depends on personality. My first Candy pair, the larger of the two was always out, the smaller, not as much. My current single Candy is out a lot, totally worth it. My new pair, they are small guys, are also out quite a bit in my other reef. They will scoot into the rocks if worried but they pop back out immediately. I find Candy Basselets to be an awesome addition to my reefs. Worth the money for me, but I know the price tag is not for everyone.

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a video on YouTube and saw this fish. I am new to this hobby and right away I said man I want one. A quick search brought up a $1,999.00 price tag! That's crazy!

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a video on YouTube and saw this fish. I am new to this hobby and right away I said man I want one. A quick search brought up a $1,999.00 price tag! That's crazy!
Just realized the date of the OP

New to forums also [emoji5]

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're available pretty regularly on DD in the $600-700 range. A steal ....

BigNick24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine for $600, in my opinion the most stunning fish I have seen. Under blue or white it is insane. I would just say make sure your tank is established, it is a very hardy fish but for the price make sure all parameters are good. Would recommend only having it in a smaller tank, they like to hide so in a large tank they can get lost.

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are extraordinary! I saw one in person for the first at my a friend on mine's place a couple days ago. Definitely a fish to invest in if you have the budget!!

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these guys come in very vibrant and for some reason fade a bit pretty quickly within a few months. My theory is they are deep water fish and not used to lighting we keep in our reef tanks. I had a swales swissguard basslet that was just as vibrant as any of these I've seen, but I've also seen some not so impressive. Since seeing a few examples of both, I'd never spend the money on one. But some people like telling others how much they spend on a fish.
Not from what I’ve seen. Personally know two reefers who have had them for 2 and 4 years respectively here in SoCal, and they’re all extremely vibrant. Not to mention all the ones in the forum. I’d call this an inaccurate analysis.

zonda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine last week a stunning fish

Attachments

• CBCFC18C-25B3-43A9-992E-861C64442DE3.jpeg
    CBCFC18C-25B3-43A9-992E-861C64442DE3.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 47FC6630-21CD-48D4-9902-90A6626644F8.jpeg
    47FC6630-21CD-48D4-9902-90A6626644F8.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 99

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get a candy basslet from ? Any reputable site for an expensive fish like this ? He’s my next fish for my 15g

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fish like a candy basslet, I wouldn't take any chances. TSM Aquatics or Marine Collectors, or if they can be had captive-bred (some basslets are), directly from the breeder.

Personally I'd have to be making about five times more than I currently am before I could justify a $700 fish, but of course make up your own mind there.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back