Candy cane coral dark spots

  • Thread starter Thread starter moorjames
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

moorjames

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2020
Messages
199
Reaction score
190
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
227F5F24-C9B4-4ED6-B228-7637427E6E4B.jpeg

I’ve noticed a couple dark spots on a few heads of the candy cane coral- and Wasn’t sure if it’s something to be concerned about. All the parameters are in my normal range, the tank is about 3 months old and I’ve had this in my tank for about 1.5-2 months now. I’ve been having a little diatom algae show up here and there on the glass and sand (nothing crazy) and I usually clean it within a couple days. It’s a Biocube 32 and I do a 5 gallon water change (reef crystals) about every 4-7 days. So I wasn’t sure if it’s diatoms showing up on the heads or if it’s stressed or dying.
All inputs appreciated
 
They look fine other than they are all closed up. I have 3 different types of candy canes and they are always puffed up and full. Something could be slightly off in your water params causing them to be receded. I wouldnt worry about it to much unless they always stay like that or you start to see exposed skeleton. Heres a few pics of what mine look like.
16127332143917868224424356764505.jpg
16127332595046739427682031547154.jpg
16127332771394906937358997316927.jpg
 
oh jeez- I’ve never see these that inflated. Even when I got the from the lfs they never looked as good as yours. Ok- I appreciate your help. At least I know what to shoot for now
 
Yes- aptasia and could be stinging them
Using a syringe which will reach down in the crevices, inject hot water or kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste into their center core
 
Holy jeez! I have tons of those! I thought it was part of the coral... wow- thanks for the heads up. I had no idea
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new