Candy cane coral rarely opens!! HELP PLZ!

Hudsonvalleyreefguy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Messages
16
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’v had my candy cane coral for about a month now and it rarely opens up. All other corals in tank are doing fine (Monty, zoa, hammer and paly). Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Steve
 
Where do you have it placed
 
Lower third of tank. Iv tried bottom of tank as well with less success.
 
1922CA54-8F24-4C55-A25D-013630B72208.jpeg
Where do you have it placed
 
Welcome to R2R!
How is the flow and lighting where you have it?
I’ve found mine likes good flow and low to medium light.
 
Welcome to R2R!
How is the flow and lighting where you have it?
I’ve found mine likes good flow and low to medium light.

Funny, mine is opposite on flow. It was closed up like this is medium flow. Mine like very little flow and it is open and puffy.
 
I find they are pretty susceptible to alk and salinity swings. I have mine getting a fairly high pulse flow and it puffs out like crazy.
 
I find they are pretty susceptible to alk and salinity swings. I have mine getting a fairly high pulse flow and it puffs out like crazy.

Alkalinity may be a cause. My home water test kits are all over the place with readings. I have aqua medic lab test kit coming this week. Let’s hope I find an answer!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new