Candy Cane Flesh Receding

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the flesh has been receding for a while now, I had a problem with GHA on my Candy Canes. I noticed my Blue Legged Crabs on the Candy Cane eating the algae. The algae is gone, but I noticed a crab on the candy cane a couple days ago. Could he possibly be eating my Candy Cane?

thumbnail.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blues are generally not a problem, however, a crab is a crab.
Looks more like a water chemistry issue, maybe higher than norm phosphate, once algae forms on a coral, if not removed will contribute to its demise.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some whites needed but low intensity. Moderate light and water flow is their requirement. Crab should have no interest in the coral.
Assure salinity is not elevated as well as Phosphate and Nitrate level.
Lower third of tank is best for location as light too bright will make them very unhappy. Also, make sure you perform small water changes and keep parameters in check. Phosphates should be low at all times (.03-.05) and nitrates under 10. Also keep an eye on the calcium and magnesium values which should be around 400-440ppm and 1200-1350 respectively.
feed them Mysis 2-3X per week

OP
OP
kathya0321

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some whites needed but low intensity. Moderate light and water flow is their requirement. Crab should have no interest in the coral.
Assure salinity is not elevated as well as Phosphate and Nitrate level.
Lower third of tank is best for location as light too bright will make them very unhappy. Also, make sure you perform small water changes and keep parameters in check. Phosphates should be low at all times (.03-.05) and nitrates under 10. Also keep an eye on the calcium and magnesium values which should be around 400-440ppm and 1200-1350 respectively.
feed them Mysis 2-3X per week
So I have a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue light, the candy cane is already in the lower 3rd of my tank. I run 100% intensity for about 8 hours of the day. Do you think that is too much light? I haven't been feeding as often, and mostly feeding Reef Roids so that could be an issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue light, the candy cane is already in the lower 3rd of my tank. I run 100% intensity for about 8 hours of the day. Do you think that is too much light? I haven't been feeding as often, and mostly feeding Reef Roids so that could be an issue.
No. The 80 is not a very bright light and coral may not be getting enough UV or Blue Strength
reef roids not an ideal food and does raise Phosphate and nitrate levels These coral need meats , not powdered plankton food

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back