Candy cane inflated but skeleton showing a little?

teatimecrumpet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my first time with candy cane and reef so not sure if this is normal. One head is nice and fat but a little of the skeleton is showing. One head looks brownish but don't believe that it's BJD. Does it look normal?

Need test for other params but ammonia 0, nitrites zero, nitrates 20.

e5bf71b3b24800cd40f1930704f2f632.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background might help. How long have you had it? Was it like that when you got it? Other parameters as well, please.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of a sick candy cane I recently rescued from a friends tank, symptoms included zero polyp expansion for several weeks along with flesh recession exposing skeleton.

B1A52A3E-411E-489D-B2AB-15E191D8CFA5.jpeg

OP
OP
T

teatimecrumpet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background might help. How long have you had it? Was it like that when you got it? Other parameters as well, please.

I've had it for 3 weeks. It wasn't like that when I got it but it didn't look like it was in the best shape and it was adjusting to my tank I guess. I know I'm bad but I don't have a kit yet for the other parameters. It's only a 10 gallon and thought I'd be able to get away for a bit since I do regular WC.

OP
OP
T

teatimecrumpet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look healthy to me.. typically you wouldn’t be getting polyp inflation like that if they weren’t happy
Thanks, I'm new to SW so this is my first Candy cane. I just thought I should ask because I noticed the white of the skeleton on that top top head but it looked happy otherwise. Just couldn't find a pic of another candy cane that showed that. Thanks!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for 3 weeks. It wasn't like that when I got it but it didn't look like it was in the best shape and it was adjusting to my tank I guess. I know I'm bad but I don't have a kit yet for the other parameters. It's only a 10 gallon and thought I'd be able to get away for a bit since I do regular WC.
Well, I would let her ride. As retro stated the look pretty good. Just maintain good water quality and do regular water changes.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back