Canister filter fluval 407 for sps corals

Jc991650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Canister question, SPS

I’m new to this hobby and a couple of months ago I bought a Aqueon 60 gallon tank 24x24x24 and a fluval 407 canister my tank has already been cycled and everything water parameters are ideal.

My set up is

• 60 gallon tank
  • Red Sea reef LED 90 (only light in tank)
  • 2 wave makers at the top
  • UVC In line cartridge
  • Fluval protein skimmer ps1 45galon (replacing in the future)
  • Boyu heater
My tank currently has a couple of livestock.

3 clown fish

1 hippo tang

2 turbo snails

5 trochus snails

2 sunburst bubble tip anemones

1 Duncan

1 Acans

My question is can I have a couple of SPS, at least 2 -3 colorful colonies with my canister filter. if it’s going to be hard that’s ok just want to learn how to take care of them and grow them if possible, also witch ones do you recommend, and can I manually dose instead of a system. Thank you in advance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, however, canister filters are essentially recirculating garbage bins that likley do a poor job at oxygnating the water, so they are near useless.

You can manually dose. I do so.

As for easy ones, pretty much any of the montipora are going to be fairly easy. Avoid birdsnest as a beginner sps as they shouldn't be considered beginner friendly.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ about canister filters being recirculating garbage bins. Running 2 407 on my 65 mixed reef and water is pristine and parameters are spot on. Maintenance is equal to sump maintenance. In my opinion both have their advantages and disadvantages. FYI I run 2 407s for redundancy. I Alter cleaning schedule to keep biological media/chemical and mechanical media in top condition. Not knocking sumps but I prefer canisters. Btw I also have 2 fx6s running my 125 and 2 307s running my 40 gallon. All pristine.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ about canister filters being recirculating garbage bins. Running 2 407 on my 65 mixed reef and water is pristine and parameters are spot on. Maintenance is equal to sump maintenance. In my opinion both have their advantages and disadvantages. FYI I run 2 407s for redundancy. I Alter cleaning schedule to keep biological media/chemical and mechanical media in top condition. Not knocking sumps but I prefer canisters. Btw I also have 2 fx6s running my 125 and 2 307s running my 40 gallon. All pristine.
I agree what a statement. People have been very successful using canisters.

Get a doser its worth the price vs your time.

IMO i would be worried about this.

3 clown fish

1 hippo tang

Why 3 clowns and a hippo. Man you can literally pick way better tangs (tomini, kole or scopus) and you will eventually have only 2 clowns.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically you don't need a "filter" at all on a reef tank. Live rock, light, and something to move the water around for gas exchange is all thats needed.

Nothing wrong with using a canister filter on a reef tank, it just requires a bit more maintenance then some are willing to do. They won't become a "nitrate factory" any more then not changing out your filter socks in a sump setup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back