Canister filter for detritus on bare bottom?

I bought a cheap canister filter filled with floss for cleaning the sump about twice a year. it should work fine in the tank as well. I siphon/vacuum my bare-bottom tank during water changes so there's no benefit to using the little canister filter for that. For cleaning the sump I put the return hose into the chamber with the drain pipes from the tank and just vacuum up the detritus using the input hose. I dispose of the floss afterwards and wash out the canister housing. The canister does need to be filled with water first so that the pump will prime. Filling the small canister uses up quite a bit of floss (I use Poly-fil polyester fiber fill that I can get at Walmart or a fabric/crafts store).
 
This would work and can be placed horizontally and out of the way

MARINELAND MAGNUM POLISHING.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new