Canister filter leaking even with a new gasket

LakeSho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 filter for over 6 years. Recently it started to make the sound of air bubbles getting into impeller and making lots of noise. Seems like it's sucking in air somewhere. I changed the intake hose as it was kinked. That worked for about a month, but the problem returned after I did a water change a few days ago. I took the filter down and cleaned the media. After turning the filter back on it still had the same issue. There was an air pocket between the top media basket and the motor unit. I unplugged the filter and went to do some research. About 10 minutes later the thing started to leak from underneath the large clamps. I figured it was the motor gasket so I ordered a new one along with some silicone grease. Replaced the gasket and greased it up. Turned the canister on and saw an air pocket between the media basket and the motor head again. The water would not completely fill the canister no matter how long I primed the unit. Once again I unplugged the filter and about 10 min later it was leaking! How is that even possible when the water doesn't even reach the seam where it's leaking from? Once I closed the valves the leak stopped. Very confusing and frustrating.

Anyone possibly know what's happening to my filter?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to get it to prime when the hoses are straight if possible. the restriction from the bend can be enough to stop it from taking in the water properly or is causing an air pocket in the tubing.

hotrodglenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 filter for over 6 years. Recently it started to make the sound of air bubbles getting into impeller and making lots of noise. Seems like it's sucking in air somewhere. I changed the intake hose as it was kinked. That worked for about a month, but the problem returned after I did a water change a few days ago. I took the filter down and cleaned the media. After turning the filter back on it still had the same issue. There was an air pocket between the top media basket and the motor unit. I unplugged the filter and went to do some research. About 10 minutes later the thing started to leak from underneath the large clamps. I figured it was the motor gasket so I ordered a new one along with some silicone grease. Replaced the gasket and greased it up. Turned the canister on and saw an air pocket between the media basket and the motor head again. The water would not completely fill the canister no matter how long I primed the unit. Once again I unplugged the filter and about 10 min later it was leaking! How is that even possible when the water doesn't even reach the seam where it's leaking from? Once I closed the valves the leak stopped. Very confusing and frustrating.

Anyone possibly know what's happening to my filter?
I currently have this problem on my Cascade 1000 filter - same leak location that you noted. I took the motor unit apart and found that the bellows that the primer button pushes against is cracked (actually has several cracks). This probably happens once the unit gets to a certain age and the bellows material (a soft plastic) becomes brittle. I have little hope of being able to obtain a new bellows from Penn-Plax, as they seem to only sell the entire motor unit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back