canister filters?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been considering trying a 40B LPS/Softie tank with a canister but haven’t decided either way. Usually read about people calling them nutrient sinks though the majority that say it have probably never tried it. IMO I’m more Likely to drag a canister to the tub for a thorough cleaning than I am to drag out the hoses and buckets for a water change....

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only ever run canister filters, never had a sump. Will never doubt the benefits of a sump and will never claim a canister is better. That said, you can absolutely keep a reef tank with a canister, I’ve been doing it since 2006. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run my salt tanks with canisters since 1989 and am running my 55 with one still today. If I had a large tank I think a sump is the way to go, but I don't have a large tank, and I don't have the room or utilities to run a sump.

I struggle to keep my NO3 and PO4 above 0, no nutrient sink here. I clean and change my carbon once a month religiously.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My softie tank seemed to run just fine on a cannister. I cleaned it every week but resented it every time. I hated cleaning it.

On the positive side, I will agree with the poster who said you're more likely to give it a deep cleaning regularly than other options. I mean, if you've got it all unhooked and open to replace media, might as well! In fact, my tank probably was cleaner with the cannister than it is with my HOB equipment. But it wasn't easier.

When it comes to ease of maintenance, I think the big difference is with the stuff you need to do regularly. With my HOB filter I can swap out filter floss and carbon or GFO without even turning it off. The cannister had to be shut down, unhooked, and put in the laundry sink. Nothing was quick or casual with the cannister I had.

Saving my cannister for when that tank changes to freshwater.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried it, sump is easier. Wouldn't even consider it again. To difficult to run reactors and other things like UV steriliser. Skimmer and heater ends up in the display tank. You will have to strip it every couple of weeks to stop it becoming a nitrate factory.

IMG-20200826-WA0001.jpg

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a big canister filter for a couple of years. I took all the foam out of it and only had live rock and some carbon in it. It didn’t need much maintenance because there really want a place for grime to collect. It worked really well...and then it started to leak so I got a bigger tank and went to a sump.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a 55g with a Cascade CC4UL canister- granted the canister is rated for larger, i believe 100g. I run 2 trays biospheres and foam biofilter, 1 tray purigen, and 1 tray fine floss. Keeps the tank sparkling clean and honestly i only change the floss once a month. It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to rinse and clean the whole thing but it really depends on the model you get. I highly recommend the model i have for price, performance and ease of maintenance.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried it, sump is easier. Wouldn't even consider it again. To difficult to run reactors and other things like UV steriliser. Skimmer and heater ends up in the display tank. You will have to strip it every couple of weeks to stop it becoming a nitrate factory.

Yup, you do run skimmer and heater in the display tank. Nope, you do not need to strip it every couple of weeks to stop it becoming a nitrate factory. Once a month is fine IME. Been doing it over 30 years, I don't know how they got the reputation as "nitrate factories" or "filter sinks" but I just don't see it, and neither do many others that run a canister. I get it isn't for many, that is fine, but to label it something it isn't is misleading at best.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with these recent two posts. Cascade is the best model for the price I’ve ever used and I clean mine just once a month. My nitrates are rarely above 1 and my phosphates are steady at 0.06.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even recently went 2 months as my floss shipment was delayed with the pandemic. Tank was fine, and although there was a buildup of sediment in the trays, the one thing i noticed was that the canister smelled like fresh ocean. In a good way. I had expected a skimmate smell. Nope. And yes i do run a hob coralife super skimmer 65, an in tank heater, and in tank 18 watt uv.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 42.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back