Canisters

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pieter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have a 125 gallon that I am running three Fluval FX6s on. It's been going for 2 and a half years and I am just now starting to add corals. I already had the canisters from when I did African Cichlids and I was convinced to continue using them after seeing a few reefers on YouTube with successful tanks.
 
Last edited:
I have a 125 gallon that I am running three Fluval FX6s on. It's been going for 2 and half years and I am just now starting to add corals. I already had the canisters from when I did African Cichlids and I was convinced to continue using them after seeing a few reefers on YouTube with successful tanks.
Ok, Yes I want to give it a go. I have a Sebo with a UV built into it, so I want to try it on my cube.
 
We have one that I use with carbon, purigen and foam that is working great on our 40B reef! Has a built in UV too.
 
I want to get one for my IM 15 AIO cube, I also want to get an inline UV from Eheim
 
I run an oase canister filter on my nano. It has a heater built in which I like.

Canisters get a bad rap as being "nitrate factories" which all comes from people not cleaning them as much as they should.

Look up "pond guru" on youtube and watch a couple videos on how he sets up canister filters. They are very informative.
Mechanical filtration --> biological --> chemical (if needed).
 
I have used one as a scrubber. So I packed it with filter flocs and run it on my sump after I stir up all the detritus. Only run it for a little while since it gets packed up quickly
 
I run an oase canister filter on my nano. It has a heater built in which I like.

Canisters get a bad rap as being "nitrate factories" which all comes from people not cleaning them as much as they should.

Look up "pond guru" on youtube and watch a couple videos on how he sets up canister filters. They are very informative.
Mechanical filtration --> biological --> chemical (if needed).
I agree on them getting a bad rap! Some people don't want or can't do a sump, plus the noise and just the looks of a sump or HOB filter isn't for everyone or every situation. I think knowing/planning what set up, your budget and which livestock you want to keep really goes a long way.
 
Some people don't want or can't do a sump, plus the noise and just the looks of a sump or HOB filter isn't for everyone or every situation.
I’ve had canister filters all my life and this is my first sump. A well designed sump is wayyyy quieter than any canister filter. I don’t even hear my tank, for the first time.
 
I’ve had canister filters all my life and this is my first sump. A well designed sump is wayyyy quieter than any canister filter. I don’t even hear my tank, for the first time.
Great! I have had sumps and HOB - this is my first canister and I don't hear my tank for the first time. Yay us!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new