Canister for a nano?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DEL 707
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DEL 707

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2024
Messages
147
Reaction score
38
Location
UK, Kent
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56l tank that is still in the process of cycling. I got 7-8kg of dry rock in there doing the job.
I wanted to use a HOB filter, but honestly I'm struggling with the noise, because the tanks in the bedroom.
I've tried 2 Seachem Tidal 35's, but both have had rattling vibrating noises. The pumps are fine when disconnected but as soon as they're connected to the housing, the noise starts.
I've sent 1 unit back and I'm about to send the other, I don't want try to mod the unit because if it doesn't work, I lose my money.

As an alternative I was thinking of trying a small canister filter, something like an Oase Filtersmart 60 or Fluval 107.
Is this a smart idea? I've been out of the marine business for along time and some people are complaining about them being nitrate traps.

I could really use some advice on what to do.
 
I used an Oase Biomaster Thermal on a 20g tank for 1 1/2 years. There is good info on YouTube on small mods to make it work even better. Requires some cleaning every couple of weeks but I some success with basic coral
1721566166341.png
 
If you have it, use it, but I would not buy it. For such a small tank, you can just point a powerhead at the water surface to oxygenate the water, and perform weekly water changes. I run several tanks like this.
 
If you have it, use it, but I would not buy it. For such a small tank, you can just point a powerhead at the water surface to oxygenate the water, and perform weekly water changes. I run several tanks like this.
Agree with this 100%.
HOB filters are for freshwater, not reefs.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new