Canon lens blue filter

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Canon 70D recently. I'm still having a bit of a problem taking shots of the reef tank without the blue washing everything out. In lightroom I can't really set the white balance because there isn't really a reference point, it's all blue!! The white balance in the camera doesn't work too well either.

Is there a lens filter (I think it would be yellow?) I can try?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 70d use the 10,000k WB.
Also may have a shade or cloud setting. Sun , shade , cloud, light bulb , fluorescent. Cloud is higher.

Look for an orange filter. Or amber. Yellow only kinda somtimes.
Or get all three cheap and play with them.

You also don’t really want to use an auto WB with a filter. You’ll get inconsistent results.

Set it to its highest Color temp and use the filter.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same camera with a 100mm macro L lens and I just ordered the 85C filter. From what I understand anything orange helps a lot with the blue. I can let you know on Monday when it comes in how well it works.

With that being said, I’m still able to get some pretty nice shots with the 70D. Make sure you set your white balance all the way to 10,000k.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Canon 70D recently. I'm still having a bit of a problem taking shots of the reef tank without the blue washing everything out. In lightroom I can't really set the white balance because there isn't really a reference point, it's all blue!! The white balance in the camera doesn't work too well either.

Is there a lens filter (I think it would be yellow?) I can try?

I have found hooking the camera up to the computer and setting the dial to P. Use the live shoot and play with the f/stop and white balance. I have the 70D, great camera, but I am still figuring is out after 5 years:D

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same camera with a 100mm macro L lens and I just ordered the 85C filter. From what I understand anything orange helps a lot with the blue. I can let you know on Monday when it comes in how well it works.

With that being said, I’m still able to get some pretty nice shots with the 70D. Make sure you set your white balance all the way to 10,000k.
The 85 series (a b c ) is orange, a broad spectrum orange.
Orange is opposite of blue on the spectrum , so adding it filters blue.
A b c are density demarcations with a being the most dense.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also may have a shade or cloud setting. Sun , shade , cloud, light bulb , fluorescent. Cloud is higher.

You also don’t really want to use an auto WB with a filter. You’ll get inconsistent results.

go with this, the master has spoken;)

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm using the same lens.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do I still use 10000K with a filter? Is that what you mean by "highest color temp?"

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I still use 10000K with a filter? Is that what you mean by "highest color temp?"
Yes.

If it’s too “warm” after you put on the filter , you can lower the color temp till you get the right color.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

If it’s too “warm” after you put on the filter , you can lower the color temp till you get the right color.
Thanks! Do you recommend a brand of filter? I'll figure out the size after. I'll probably get the 67mm for the macro (which also fits the 18-135). Should I get 3 colors and play around?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you recommend a brand of filter? I'll figure out the size after. I'll probably get the 67mm for the macro (which also fits the 18-135). Should I get 3 colors and play around?
I’d go in expensive and play with all three. You can get them as cheap as $5 each. Or $95. Lol.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the Canon 750D and I purchased a set of mixed lense filters which just screw on the end of the camera.

They only cost about £15 new from the ‘auction site’ and there must be 8 different colours to play around with, and certainly the yellow works as I’ve tried that one for sure.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go in expensive and play with all three. You can get them as cheap as $5 each. Or $95. Lol.
Dumb question, maybe, but how do you pick the right size? I bought a rubber hood for my 50mm and it didn't fit. Clearly I missed some detail somewhere....

I'd want the filter for my 50mm Nikon and 90mm Tamron (if that matters)

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question, maybe, but how do you pick the right size? I bought a rubber hood for my 50mm and it didn't fit. Clearly I missed some detail somewhere....

Don't confuse focal length with lens size. Look at the front of the lens and it should say what filter size you need. It usually has this "ø" icon by it.

This would be 58mm
https://goo.gl/images/vA4d9T

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The back of your lens cap says what size it is.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't confuse focal length with lens size. Look at the front of the lens and it should say what filter size you need. It usually has this "ø" icon by it.

This would be 58mm
https://goo.gl/images/vA4d9T
Ah ha! So there is another number :)

And of course all three of my lenses are different sizes.

Kit lens: 52mm
50mm: 58mm
90mm: 55mm

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can try looking on the inside of your lens cap as well. It usually says it on there.

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion to save you a lot of money and time buying this and that just to solve a simple problem:

1. If you're using LED's, why not turn the color dial to a point that's more on the side of white light?

2. If you're not using LED's or adjustable color lights, as saltyfilmfolks suggested, bring the Kelvin temp as high as it'll go, also, I hope you're shooting raw, go to lightroom, it doesn't matter if its blue, you can still set a reference point on what is supposed to be gray. Then manually adjust. Or just manually adjust from the start.

You dont need filters on your lens to achieve this

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back