Canopy

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the function of a canopy?
Is it really something that helps that much?
I ask because I don’t think it looks that great and would rather have open top. I like the rimless look too but want to hear the pros and cons before I make a decision.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. Back before all the new lighting and hangers, a canopy as the only way to hang and hide tube type lighting.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the aesthetics of a canopy. I built mine myself to accommodate the lights I own. It does contain light spill that would otherwise go into the room, hides the lights themselves, and hides the water line, which I keep above the start of the rim of the tank… again, just what I prefer.

I TOTALLY respect the opinion that open top/rimless look good, if not better in many applications, but for me, I simply like the look of a canopy and what it can hide.

To each their own!

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the aesthetics of a canopy. I built mine myself to accommodate the lights I own. It does contain light spill that would otherwise go into the room, hides the lights themselves, and hides the water line, which I keep above the start of the rim of the tank… again, just what I prefer.

I TOTALLY respect the opinion that open top/rimless look good, if not better in many applications, but for me, I simply like the look of a canopy and what it can hide.

To each their own!
Fair enough, I respect that. Someone told me that it may help with salt creep on walls and such… I understand how they can look nice but I just don’t think mine does lol.
Not to mention it’s cracking and there looks like they had tried to screw other lights in…

I was just curious if anyone had experience with both ways and could give the pros and cons just so I know what to expect if I do choose to switch tanks and go rimless.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the canopy because it hides the lights and eliminates light spread into the room.

It's all personal opinion of course when it comes to looks so to each their own.

Without the canopy my tank looks worse because it is a plastic rim design.

Sime folks do a great job mounting lights over a rimless tank and it still looks clean. Most folks it just looks ok.

Really the light spill is the main detractor for me, I want to see the corals and fish, not be blinded by the lights.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back