Can't find black screen frame for DIY top

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I'm finally getting around to building a screen top for my tank but when I went to order the aluminum frame I couldn't find black. The frames I thought were black by looking at the picture are actually bronze. I've only been able to find bronze, brown, white and an aluminum color. I have checked Amazon, Home Depot and a bunch of other places. I'm in Canada but also checked some US sites and still couldn't find black. For all of you DIYers who have made one where did you find black (or is it actually bronze)? DOES the BRS one use black? I didn't think I would have this problem.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having built a redsea diy... on a 3 foot tank with a back over flow I would never do it again ... that being said I sleep better at night knowing it is on there. On my list down the line is a custom built one... cant remember the name off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is clear plexiglass. Works and looks fine.
Thanks for this. I actually cut a piece of clear acrylic as a temporary solution. If I can't find a good aluminum frame I will probably do another acrylic piece that has proper cut outs for my equipment. What did you use to cut yours? I bought an acrylic/plexiglass cutter that looks like a glorified box cutter. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just laser cut 5 mm acrylic for my top. I may run aluminum around it if I can find black ;)
Haha. Thanks for this! I actually cut a piece of acrylic as a temporary solution when I couldn't find a black frame. It was mentioned bronze looks like black so I will probably order that kit and try it out. If it doesn't work I will have to do another piece of acrylic with the proper cutouts for my equipment and light. What did you use to cut the acrylic with? I bought something that looks like a glorified box cutter but that seemed to take forever just to do a simple cut. I can't imagine doing cutouts for equipment with it. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Thanks for this! I actually cut a piece of acrylic as a temporary solution when I couldn't find a black frame. It was mentioned bronze looks like black so I will probably order that kit and try it out. If it doesn't work I will have to do another piece of acrylic with the proper cutouts for my equipment and light. What did you use to cut the acrylic with? I bought something that looks like a glorified box cutter but that seemed to take forever just to do a simple cut. I can't imagine doing cutouts for equipment with it. :)
My very own 900x600 mm laser cutter.
Maybe I should advertise my ability. But I'm sure there are plenty in the US or Canada that could provide this service.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I'm going to check if I can customize the smallest one. My tank is a 5g (16"). I wasn't sure if these kits would work with mine. They certainly would make constructing this so much easier! :)
A lid that size should be really easy!... good luck!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having built a redsea diy... on a 3 foot tank with a back over flow I would never do it again ... that being said I sleep better at night knowing it is on there. On my list down the line is a custom built one... cant remember the name off the top of my head.
Thanks! What didn't you like about the Red Sea kit? It's great to get this type of feedback. I did see someone mention in another post about a company that custom builds tops. I would actually love to leave mine open top (evaporation hasn't been that bad) but I have one fish that likes to hang out dangerously close to the top. He concerns me. Haha. I quickly cut a piece of acrylic as a temporary solution just because of him! LOL

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My very own 900x600 mm laser cutter.
Maybe I should advertise my ability. But I'm sure there are plenty in the US or Canada that could provide this service.
Nice! I saw a diy on another site on how to build a laser cutter. I think it used the laser component from a computer dvd writer. I should diy one of those so I can cut my own acrylic sheet for a diy tank lid. LOL

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What didn't you like about the Red Sea kit? It's great to get this type of feedback.
So I have a 300xl with a back over flow. So I was not just dealing with 4 corners but 8 .. with all the cuts... then once cut and fit tested it was time to roll the screen in. For mine I needed 2 people, using the screen roller to shove the bead in the channel and the screen and trying to keep it tight was a PITA. There is a good video of it.. let me find it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back