Cant find my eel!!

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay Im just super paranoid after my tank crash and want to make sure all my little friends are accounted for! But I will leave him alone. Tore apart the sump so at least Im sure he didnt get in there
Ive had fish over 3 inches hide for weeks and weeks, I worry everytime still, but avoid taking action on it.

Recently I got a new royal gramma in qt, and it managed to completely hide for 6 days, not one sighting, now its back out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still looking for my eel! Ive searched with a flashlight, took the sump apart, overflows, keep checking behind the tank like everything. Im just worried the little guy isnt getting food! I know people have said that this can be normal but Ive searched so hard and I cant even see a small part of him!!

Is it a Caribbean chainlink moray? Those are known to leave the water chasing food, they are adept at travelling around tide pools and the shore. Trouble is, if they get out of a tank, they just think that if they travel far enough, they'll find water again. That means, if there is a chance it got out of the tank, it could be yards away from the tank itself, and they dry up pretty small.....

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a Caribbean chainlink moray? Those are known to leave the water chasing food, they are adept at travelling around tide pools and the shore. Trouble is, if they get out of a tank, they just think that if they travel far enough, they'll find water again. That means, if there is a chance it got out of the tank, it could be yards away from the tank itself, and they dry up pretty small.....

Jay
Yes it is one of those. And Ive been searching my floor like mad for the little guy and havnt found anything remotely like him. That said I do have two dogs though, one might try to eat it, the other would freak out if she saw it move. They havnt had any stomach issues which I would think they would if they ate an eel

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is one of those. And Ive been searching my floor like mad for the little guy and havnt found anything remotely like him. That said I do have two dogs though, one might try to eat it, the other would freak out if she saw it move. They havnt had any stomach issues which I would think they would if they ate an eel
And this little one was maybe 6 inches

4theluvofcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this little one was maybe 6 inches
I know this is an old thread but did you ever find him/her? I just had the same thing happen to me this morning but mine is smaller maybe 5 inches in length at the most but I haven’t pulled anything apart and afraid to because I worry about stressing him/her out more or squishing them. He cannot get out I know that for sure but just trying to stay calm “assuming” they are fine.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but did you ever find him/her? I just had the same thing happen to me this morning but mine is smaller maybe 5 inches in length at the most but I haven’t pulled anything apart and afraid to because I worry about stressing him/her out more or squishing them. He cannot get out I know that for sure but just trying to stay calm “assuming” they are fine.
No never found it

4theluvofcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No never found it
So sorry, mine popped back up. However he is very thin. Do you have an recommendations for how to get him to eat again? He had a really good feeding response going into the tank but I have tried F/T PE mysis, live sw ghost shrimp, and very small live rock crabs. He just shows no interest but he needs to eat more often than the adults I do know that.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, mine popped back up. However he is very thin. Do you have an recommendations for how to get him to eat again? He had a really good feeding response going into the tank but I have tried F/T PE mysis, live sw ghost shrimp, and very small live rock crabs. He just shows no interest but he needs to eat more often than the adults I do know that.
What kind of eel do you have? I have 3 eels, they all like very different foods. Picky little boogers

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back