Can't get my salt to disolve

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I've setup my mixing station finally, and I went with 2 210 gallon norwesco vertical tanks. For the life of me I can't get my salt to disolve.

I use HW ReeferMix from BRS, which according to the label should be disolved in a matter of an hour or so. Even if I let it mix for 24 hours it's still super cloudy.

The mixing tank runs on a Vectra L1 on full speed and I have 2 Icecap X3 gyres in vertical position one 3/4 down in the container on the front and one 1/4 down on the back.

I came from a 35 gallon horizontal leg tank and never had this issue but my water just doesn't clear up.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add a heater, When I mix mine in 5 gallon bucket, I put RO water first with a pump and heater to get water up to tank temp. Then add the salt, wait an hour and do my change.

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida and the mixing station is in my garage where I usually have my water between 70/75 degrees. You really think a heater will make the difference?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That IS strange. Water first then salt, has never been an issue w/me & HW Reefermix

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Phil said, add a heater and get your ro/di water up to tank temperature and then add salt... if you're not doing so.

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That IS strange. Water first then salt, has never been an issue w/me & HW Reefermix
Yeah water first I filled it with 180 gallon RO and put half a bag in it so far, and super cloudy I can't even see my second gyre

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Phil said, add a heater and get your ro/di water up to tank temperature and then add salt... if you're not doing so.
Is it a problem if the salt is already in it? I really don't want to waste this batch.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, but will it help to better disolve the salt?

Yes, of course. I use Tropic Marin Pro and it's one of the fastest disolving salts, but i still bring my ro/di water up to my tank's temp before adding salt. It's a good practice.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back