Cant get water levels stable.....

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently bought an AquaOne Mini Reef 180, 180l DT plus a 45l sump.

The tank came standard with a corner internal weir with a single 40mm Durso drain through the base of the tank and a 20mm return pipe. I quickly got bored of the noise of the durso so I changed the set up. I now have a strainer on the 40mm drain around 6inches below the water line, I have converted the 20mm hole to an emergency drain which sits around 1 inch above the water line in the weir and then I have run the return up and over the back of the tank. I was running this as a Herbie with a ball valve on the main drain but could never get the tank and sump levels to balance. I have a jebao dcw3500 return pump so I can adjust both the drain speed and the return flow but I'd sit for hours making tiny adjustments on the ball valve to try and balance the flow but could never get it quite right so last week I changed the ball valve for a gate valve thinking this would solve the problem!

So here's where I am now.

I turn on my return pump, only set to 20%, if I set it any higher the level in my weir sits too low compared to my DT and is too noisy. Then I open the gate valve slowly till its somewhere near balanced, I leave it for 15 minutes then come back and adjust as necessary. Before long it appears to be perfectly balanced and silent! HAPPY DAYS! but then around 24-36 hours later it always goes out of balance! The water level in the weir begins to drop while the water level in the sump remains the same. I have an ATO in the return pump chamber of the sump but all my evaporation appears to be showing itself in the DT and the weir rather than in the sump?!

Just to make things more confusing.... this morning I came down to find my DT water level super high and flowing through my emergency drain. Checked my sump and the water level in the sump was where it should be..... the ATO had dumped 20l of fresh water into the system! My flow/return had somehow gone slightly out of balance, despite being fine for 2 days since I last adjusted it. It was slowly raising the water level in the DT and the ATO was topping up the sump... now my ATO does have a cut out which should stop this but I can only guess the level in the sump was dropping so slowly that the ATO never noticed it as an issue and over many hours it pumped the whole container of RODI into the system.......

What am I doing wrong?!?

Converting to a Herbie was meant to make the system silent and easy to maintain but I'm having no end of issues and its really making me loose interest in the hobby! Looking at the fish/coral looses its appeal when every time I enter the room I have to spend an hour messing with the drain system!

Please Help!

IMG_20220622_080811.jpg IMG_20220622_080828.jpg IMG_20220622_080852.jpg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Set your pump to desired %.
Open the gate all the way.
Than slowly turn it half or 1 turn at a time till the water rises in your Overflow. It will hit the emergency Overflow and should trickle down the partial.
The partial/emergency height pipe should be just below your Overflow teeth or wier height.
The secondary partial siphon emergency drain line noise produced should be the water falling at the sump. You can set it low. Submerge it just a little. Or leave it up. This will alert you to clean that screen pipe with the slots in it. Or that you have a major clog. With the water rushing through that emergency and it going from partial to full and back to partial. Lol. Ect.

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Set your pump to desired %.
Open the gate all the way.
Than slowly turn it half or 1 turn at a time till the water rises in your Overflow. It will hit the emergency Overflow and should trickle down the partial.
The partial/emergency height pipe should be just below your Overflow teeth or wier height.
The secondary partial siphon emergency drain line noise produced should be the water falling at the sump. You can set it low. Submerge it just a little. Or leave it up. This will alert you to clean that screen pipe with the slots in it. Or that you have a major clog. With the water rushing through that emergency and it going from partial to full and back to partial. Lol. Ect.

I can turn the emergency drain so its in the same chamber yes, I only had it here so I could clearly hear the water tumbling into the sump in an emergency....

From what you describe that's exactly what I'm doing to set the balance currently except for the fact that my emergency drain is higher than you describe. I'll try cutting it down a little so its level with the bottom of the slots in the weir?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes whatever height you cut the stand pipe will be the water level e
Within you wier Overflow.
Sorry your from Europe and I'm still up at night here in the states. Lol.
You will most likely Than like you said the following day have to open the gate valve maybe quarter turn at a time until the water just trickles from your 2nd pipe. This will be the set setting.
If your full siphon drains it than tighten up on the gate valve and trickle more water through the secondary that way it will stay set. Might be a little more loud but u won't have to keep finicking with it.
Hths you and sets your mind at ease. Better to enjoy a fish tank than have a headache over it.lol
D

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes whatever height you cut the stand pipe will be the water level e
Within you wier Overflow.
Sorry your from Europe and I'm still up at night here in the states. Lol.
You will most likely Than like you said the following day have to open the gate valve maybe quarter turn at a time until the water just trickles from your 2nd pipe. This will be the set setting.
If your full siphon drains it than tighten up on the gate valve and trickle more water through the secondary that way it will stay set. Might be a little more loud but u won't have to keep finicking with it.
Hths you and sets your mind at ease. Better to enjoy a fish tank than have a headache over it.lol
D
I'm scared of cutting it down in case I cut it too short and have to drain the tank and weir to replace it! I'll have a go tonight and cut it down to somewhere near the bottom of the weir teeth...

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment about adding the adapter and pipe length is about the drain at the bottom sorry not the top where I mention u can cut the sandpipe height.
Wanted to clarify that.
D

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment about adding the adapter and pipe length is about the drain at the bottom sorry not the top where I mention u can cut the sandpipe height.
Wanted to clarify that.
D
Ah ok!

I presume if the main drain were to block, the gurgling noise from the top of the emergency would be enough to raise alarm without the noise in the sump?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main drain blocks and the top stand pipe water rises up above the stand pipe. Turns it into a full siphon and all the water rushes down and makes a lot of noise yes. Lol. This will let u know to either clean your main drain or open up your gate valve a little and lower the level in your Overflow.
When you get your Overflow set. Your ato level will be set in your return sump chamber. You can mark this with apiece of tape or pen mark. Your ato float. Ect.
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back