Can't keep nitrates down! Feel like I've tried everything.

micool777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55g tank is almost a year old now, got about 6 mates in it: foxface, clown, banggai, firefish, damsel, and a fire red shrimp. Recently I've been testing my nitrates and they are super high (100ppm+). I was feeding them twice a day, but I have changed it to once a day which has seemed fine for about a month and a half. I tried dosing with some sugar (no corals), only about 2tsp once per three days, but that didn't seem to change much. Then I ordered some algone, where I've only added one strip to the existing one in my canister filter (only filtration besides whatever good my two powerheads are doing) since I got that about a month ago (figured they'd be good for two weeks each or something, idk). I tested the nitrates again and it seems like they still haven't changed at all. Do I just need to do a huge water change or what? Do I need to use the algone more frequently and in conjunction with some sugar (carbon) dosing? What do y'all recommend?

FGourdin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55g tank is almost a year old now, got about 6 mates in it: foxface, clown, banggai, firefish, damsel, and a fire red shrimp. Recently I've been testing my nitrates and they are super high (100ppm+). I was feeding them twice a day, but I have changed it to once a day which has seemed fine for about a month and a half. I tried dosing with some sugar (no corals), only about 2tsp once per three days, but that didn't seem to change much. Then I ordered some algone, where I've only added one strip to the existing one in my canister filter (only filtration besides whatever good my two powerheads are doing) since I got that about a month ago (figured they'd be good for two weeks each or something, idk). I tested the nitrates again and it seems like they still haven't changed at all. Do I just need to do a huge water change or what? Do I need to use the algone more frequently and in conjunction with some sugar (carbon) dosing? What do y'all recommend?
Weekly 15-20% water changes rather than sudden huge water change. Consider adding a refugium for more definitive solution.

FGourdin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly 15-20% water changes rather than sudden huge water change. Consider adding a refugium for more definitive solution.
I should have asked do you have an algae problem and do you have any corals? If answer is no on both counts wouldn’t be so concerned about high nitrates in fish only tank. If you are battling algae then also addressing high phosphates also becomes important.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say it enough, Vodka got me from 80ish to under 10 in 12 weeks with no water changes.

Follow this schedule, some say it's outdated and doses can and should be modified and increased but this schedule worked for me.
Screenshot_20211122-191055_Samsung Internet.jpg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed ? Flakes are the worst for nitrates, pellets aren’t ideal either. You should feed frozen.

When I switched to almost 100% frozen, nitrates went down from 20 ppm to 10 ppm. Feeding reef roids and the like will also raise them.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you perform water changes and what percentage? In a system with no significant export facility(skimmer for before nutrients break down or refugium/algae scrubber for after) this is usually easiest way to keep nitrates doen or reduce them. I would not be concerned with doing large changes in a fish only tank if you match salinity and temp so no big swings with those. For reducing one 40% change is much better than 2x20% change.

Also how frequently are you cleaning the canister filter. Assuming you have mechanical filtration(floss,etc) then you can help things a lot by frequent cleaning to eliminate detritus before it breaks down to nitrates.

Carbon dosing i think can help, but i do think it works much better when you have a skimmer. It does take some time though and need to stick with it and bump up dose(using chart like @G Santana posted or some other). Just doing a little bit every few days for a couple weeks wont get the bacteria built up to levels really needed to see a difference.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe your filtration and maintenance (i.e. how often you change socks out, etc.)

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It honestly sounds like you've got a huge pocket of detritus that's not being removed

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i carbon dose with vodka and run activated carbon and gfo. i run the triton method now because it worked so well. i’ve only needed to carbon dose like once a month , but make sure you are running a protein skimmer or at the very least add an air stone. oxygenation is necessary while carbon dosing. try a singular drop of vodka diluted in a liter of tank water. dose for 2 days in a row (assuming nitrates don’t drop in 24hours). my nitrates dropped from 15 to 3ppm after the second day/dose.

Crowe578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn about sugar dosing you might not have enough bacteria

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the carbon dosing suggestions are crazy without a protein skimmer. I love carbon dosing as I do it myself but it is not without risks. Here the best bet it a deep cleaning of all equipment tank sand everything and a 90% water change and another 50 a day later.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back