Can't post in selling forum?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to post something in the livestock sale forum, and it's saying I'm not allowed to. Is this because I already have an old sale thread and a WTB thread up? I can't figure out how to take them down, if so. To be clear, none of this involves the new classified system, just the regular forums.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone? I have a "post ad" button, but I want to just make a forum post.
Sorry. I'm just now seeing this. Creating an ad posts your item for sale in the classified system and also creates a thread in the selling forum.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I wound up creating an ad and I see how it does things. Is there no option to just make a regular thread in the selling forum any more?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I wound up creating an ad and I see how it does things. Is there no option to just make a regular thread in the selling forum any more?
That's correct. The only way to create a thread is by creating an ad.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah. I'm sure you've already had plenty of complaints about that, so I won't bother adding to it. Any particular reason for the mandatory ad thing?

If it's going to permanently be this way, searching the classifieds needs to be improved. Right now it doesn't seem to be sorting by date added, so if I search something, a lot of the newer results get buried.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now it’s permanent as they shift to the new classified system instead of the old way. Since a thread is created for all new ads, I just search the forum for the thread titles and the forum sorts it newest to oldest (I hope that helps). When you click on the discussion thread, you can then click on the “overview” to get the details on the item for sale
645523C0-E11F-4D03-B727-4F796C8F69D7.jpeg

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they're going to be making classifieds the new thing, the classifieds should be more easily searchable, is my fresh new opinion on the subject. Maybe people would like the classifieds more if they had benefits like good search filters.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks very much for the feedback. We are working on making it MUCH more user friendly. There's a lot more potential for this new system than we had with the old one and lots of things we're hoping it will open up for our users. We definitely understand the frustration with the change, but please keep providing feedback and help us to make it the best that it can be.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, the search function is specifically something we're definitely working to make better.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to hear. It might also be nice to have a way to 'bump' the ads, since right now they get buried pretty fast and then there's no way to un-bury them, at least in Classifieds.

I don't know if this is on the table, but please don't remove the Sale forum entirely. Ads and a Sale thread connected to each other is definitely better than just ads.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. It might also be nice to have a way to 'bump' the ads, since right now they get buried pretty fast and then there's no way to un-bury them, at least in Classifieds.
Haha ironically they get bumped when they expire. I hate seeing a sale thread on the recently posted section only to see the post is that the ad has expired and been removed

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think (not 100% sure on this) that any edit of the ad will bump it.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there an edit feature on the ad itself? I can't find it. Do I have to look on a different page?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there an edit feature on the ad itself? I can't find it. Do I have to look on a different page?
Ads operate like posts in threads. Meaning that regular members have a set time frame for editing (30 minutes, I think), but supporting and partner members both have unlimited editing ability.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah. Not ideal. I think you're going to get a number of people annoyed at basically having to pay to bump their ad.

One last thing: would it be possible to add a feature where the ad only shows someone's /approximate/ location, instead of their exact address? I'm not super keen on putting my address up for everyone on the site to see. Craigslist has a feature where it shows the approximate area someone is in, and that seems good.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Not ideal. I think you're going to get a number of people annoyed at basically having to pay to bump their ad.

One last thing: would it be possible to add a feature where the ad only shows someone's /approximate/ location, instead of their exact address? I'm not super keen on putting my address up for everyone on the site to see. Craigslist has a feature where it shows the approximate area someone is in, and that seems good.

I have not used it yet and am curious how exact it requires? I see some ads where the location just shows up as "california" though so assume there is a way not to put too detailed?

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't remember if it said "put in your location" or "put in your address", but it's definitely showing my exact address in text and on the map. I didn't realize it was going to do that. And since I'm not a paid member, I can't change it. Now, I try to make a habit of not putting exact personal details on the Internet where random people can see them, so I don't particularly like this situation.

Edit: oh, and the bit at the bottom of the selling thread that says "you don't have permission to post here" or whatever should probably be changed to say "post an ad and it will show up here". That way people know what to do.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what it says:

C0C37795-3E7E-4F0D-BF98-C2D4FEBED188.jpeg

I too am curious how exact it requires. I don’t remember my last ad what I put but that is an excellent question

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back