Can't Stand It!!!

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed people mispronouncing anemone nearly as much as Chaetomorpha. "chaeto"--->"cheato"

This is an interesting point... One I had not given much thought into, as I just pronounced it the way I heard the first person pronounce it, lol...d

Now, I do not know much about latin... but based on the basic pronunciation rules of the two main dialects of latin; it looks like it should either be pronounced: keyto (k-ee-to) or kyto (k-eye-to)... neighter has an "a" sound...

I could be way off base here, but would love to hear others thoughts on this!

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, read all the comments and you'll see quite a few people pointed it out. Maybe you are one of them? ;)
Nope, I watch your (and others) videos on my roku while I workout, no way to comment.
FYI: I enjoy the hell out of your videos, please keep the content coming.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting point... One I had not given much thought into, as I just pronounced it the way I heard the first person pronounce it, lol...d

Now, I do not know much about latin... but based on the basic pronunciation rules of the two main dialects of latin; it looks like it should either be pronounced: keyto (k-ee-to) or kyto (k-eye-to)... neighter has an "a" sound...

I could be way off base here, but would love to hear others thoughts on this!
You are absolutely correct in this respect. The pronunciation "Kay-toe" is hobbyist derived and generally accepted in such context. It's more the 'ch' sound and the inversion of the 'e' and 'a' that draws the lighthearted criticism in this case.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I watch your (and others) videos on my roku while I workout, no way to comment.
FYI: I enjoy the hell out of your videos, please keep the content coming.
Next stream this Saturday at 2pm CST. :)

Dick Perrin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[rant]

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos, most recently about anemone husbandry and related topics.
There is something that a lot of the most popular reef streamers and rookies alike are guilty of:
They mispronounce the word ANEMONE!
Instead of [uh-nem-uh-nee], they say [uh-nen-uh-mee]!
It really drives me crazy!!
If you've never noticed it before, you will now haha ;)

Am I being overly sensitive? Absolutely.
Your thoughts?

[/rant]
That seems fairly tame to me as we once had a customer here at Trop, who called them "enemas"

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conks/Chonks/Conchs

Sorry @saltyfilmfolks it's relevant to the thread lol ;Woot

upload_2017-9-1_12-16-30.png
Lol. You wouldn't believe how hard it was fighting with my auto correct to believe me.
It really preferd the spelling to be chalks.
So yea, I'm guilty of settling.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. You wouldn't believe how hard it was fighting with my auto correct to believe me.
It really preferd the spelling to be chalks.
So yea, I'm guilty of settling.
Haha spellcheck probably is the culprit in many of these situations.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point haha. I think the worst for me came from working in a store that carried both Freshwater and Saltwater. Hearing someone refer to cichlids as "chicklids" was like nails on a chalkboard.

I once had a regular customer that always pronounced cichlid with an sh on the front followed by a t. I haven't the slightest clue how she thought that was correct or why she never questioned it when myself, my co-worker and other customers pronounced it correctly o_O.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a regular customer that always pronounced cichlid with an sh on the front followed by a t. I haven't the slightest clue how she thought that was correct or why she never questioned it when myself, my co-worker and other customers pronounced it correctly o_O.
lol I guess she thought you guys were pronouncing it wrong and didnt want to offend by correcting?
Did you correct tell her for the same reason?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I guess she thought you guys were pronouncing it wrong and didnt want to offend by correcting?
Did you correct tell her for the same reason?

lol I didn't say anything, I just kept saying it correctly, with more emphasis over time hoping she'd figure it. Never did.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, case in point.
Three violations within 15 seconds, tens of thousands of subscribers, seemingly a smart guy:
@melev You're guilty sir. ;)

Since melev was attacked so mercilessly here on this thread, with his professionalism bought into question ;), I'd like to stick up for the man & just say, I enjoy watching merves'reef.

:)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me guess - hyper bowl- ...?

Your daughter isn't former Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, by any chance ?

Hyper-bowl would be correct... Prime Minister, not so much. Don't know what book she was reading, but whatever it was... I'm happy to see her turning pages.

She's a very talented artist (I can't draw a straight line with a ruler), who married well enough to continue pursuing her art. Running her own mural company in St. Louis now. Did the painting on my new reef tank stand. I have four daughters, dang proud of all of them, her no less than the others.

Pic of the stand paint _before_ I trimmed it and covered it with a quarter inch of bar poly. She did this in an afternoon...

Paint1.jpg

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyper-bowl would be correct... Prime Minister, not so much. Don't know what book she was reading, but whatever it was... I'm happy to see her turning pages.

She's a very talented artist (I can't draw a straight line with a ruler), who married well enough to continue pursuing her art. Running her own mural company in St. Louis now. Did the painting on my new reef tank stand. I have four daughters, dang proud of all of them, her no less than the others.

Pic of the stand paint _before_ I trimmed it and covered it with a quarter inch of bar poly. She did this in an afternoon...

Paint1.jpg

Well that's all well & good, but what I would really like to know is how your daughter prounces anemone?
;)

And as far as I'm concerned if she pronounces the word another way than, either, N-E-MOAN,,,, N-M-OWN, or A-MANY-KNEE, spoken really quickly, then she should stick to painting murals.

;)

Nice mural by the way.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since melev was attacked so mercilessly here on this thread, with his professionalism bought into question ;), I'd like to stick up for the man & just say, I enjoy watching merves'reef.

:)
I'm renaming the site now to make it easier to pronounce. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Btw, I released a new video last night. 'nuff said.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back