OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when non reefers look at my mixed reef tank and say "what kind of plants are those"[emoji58]
Haha at least they're not making videos about "water plants", they have ignorance on their side.
As for those that say 'anenome' the only excuse would be dyslexia lol

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[rant]

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos, most recently about anemone husbandry and related topics.
There is something that a lot of the most popular reef streamers and rookies alike are guilty of:
They mispronounce the word ANEMONE!
Instead of [uh-nem-uh-nee], they say [uh-nen-uh-mee]!
It really drives me crazy!!
If you've never noticed it before, you will now haha ;)

Am I being overly sensitive? Absolutely.
Your thoughts?

[/rant]

My five-year-old calls it "enemy". Lol

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when non reefers look at my mixed reef tank and say "what kind of plants are those"[emoji58]
"THOSE CORALS ARE REAL? I thought they were fake!"

As for OP: I'm totally a guilty party. I'm glad that the internet has an automatic spell checker because I always spell it as anenome the first time.

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good thing you just saved a bunch of money on your homeowners' insurance by switching to GEICO
That reminds me... this is off-topic, but I have noticed a rise in the number of tv commercials / shows with aquariums and aquarium fish recently. Like that one insurance commercial where a guy buys a big fish tank and it cracks, and then his wife gets an alert about water damage in her house when she isn't home (which is the feature that is being advertised), implying that the fish tank shattered and flooded his house lol. Or that banking commercial where a talking penguin buys like 50 goldfish, but his bank alerts him that he's over his spending limit, so one of the goldfish has to go back. Or that paper towel commercial where a kid does a water change (or just dumps water into his goldfish tank), spilling water everywhere, advertising how absorbent the paper towels are when cleaning up a mess like that.

Sorry, I just thought of that since we're talking about fish tanks and you quoted Geico commercials. :p

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my daughters, probably 12 or so at the time, quite correctly used the word hyperbole in a sentence, while completely mangling the pronunciation. Once I figured out what she was trying to say, I was overjoyed with her. Demonstrated to me that she was reading, and that she was _understanding_ what she was reading, regardless of how she was pronouncing the words. Pronunciation is easy. Getting a kid to pick up a book these days can be very hard. I told that story in her presence enough times over the years, I guarantee she will never again mispronounce hyperbole :)

Mispronouncing a four syllable word is preferable to not understanding it's meaning.

That said, if you're going to publish a video on a subject, you _might_ just want to make sure you can pronounce the name :)

Very little excuse, these days... OK Google, pronounce anemone

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1000 This
I will straight up hit the back button when I hear "anenome" which renders your video content and editing useless!
As long as they can wait until around 30 seconds into the video to say it they still get credited with your view. As long as they can control the urge for 30 seconds, they could say nothing but "anenome" for the remaining footage and they still win

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, case in point.
Three violations within 15 seconds, tens of thousands of subscribers, seemingly a smart guy:
@melev You're guilty sir. ;)

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back