Can't Stay Away 54 Corner

jdwreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we go again.. I just had to look at the saltwater section in petco and see they had lightning maroon clowns for only $60! Then one of my dream tanks showed up on craigslist for only $80! Like, am I just supposed to not get back into saltwater? 20221008_064045.jpg

I've been out of the hobby for six years after I broke down my 40 breeder lps tank when I bought a house. The itch has been with me the whole time and I now decided I need clownfish in my life. When I got out lightning clowns weren't available yet so I'm super stoked you can now get them for the same price as other clowns. I plan on getting of pair of them with a few colours of BTA and my other must have, a watchman goby pistol shrimp pair.

The aquarium didn't come with a stand so I am building one with a special addition. This tank will be in my gaming room to the right of my desktop and I will be building an led lit acrylic shelf wrapping around the stand and along the wall into the next corner of the room. This room was the spare bedroom but I tore out the closet to build a computer alcove into. The space is 29" deep and the tank is 27.5" deep so it will fit perfectly flush with the wall on the right.

20221008_082926.jpg
The stand is mostly done and ready to be painted and tank has been cleaned and drilled for emergency overflow. I want to keep maintenance and noise on this tank as low as possible so my current plan is no sump. I still need to figure out lighting and flow, build rock structure, get fish and quarantine, and run electricity in the closet. That's what I'll be working on this weekend.

OP
OP
jdwreefer

jdwreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we go again.. I just had to look at the saltwater section in petco and see they had lightning maroon clowns for only $60! Then one of my dream tanks showed up on craigslist for only $80! Like, am I just supposed to not get back into saltwater? 20221008_064045.jpg

I've been out of the hobby for six years after I broke down my 40 breeder lps tank when I bought a house. The itch has been with me the whole time and I now decided I need clownfish in my life. When I got out lightning clowns weren't available yet so I'm super stoked you can now get them for the same price as other clowns. I plan on getting of pair of them with a few colours of BTA and my other must have, a watchman goby pistol shrimp pair.

The aquarium didn't come with a stand so I am building one with a special addition. This tank will be in my gaming room to the right of my desktop and I will be building an led lit acrylic shelf wrapping around the stand and along the wall into the next corner of the room. This room was the spare bedroom but I tore out the closet to build a computer alcove into. The space is 29" deep and the tank is 27.5" deep so it will fit perfectly flush with the wall on the right.

20221008_082926.jpg
The stand is mostly done and ready to be painted and tank has been cleaned and drilled for emergency overflow. I want to keep maintenance and noise on this tank as low as possible so my current plan is no sump. I still need to figure out lighting and flow, build rock structure, get fish and quarantine, and run electricity in the closet. That's what I'll be working on this weekend.
Here's my proposed stocking list:
2x maroon clownfish
1 yellow watchman goby + tiger pistol shrimp
1 firefish
1 aiptasia eating tilefish
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 starry benny

Interested in but probably won't get:
Coral beauty angel fish
Tomini tang
Black cap basselet
Splendid dottyback

I'm going to try to not get many corals and limit myself to softies but we'll see how that goes

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Check out my build - I'm working on a 150g corner tank currently.

If you are looking for any gear in particular, I got tons of extra stuff to unload. PM me and I can send you a list.

OP
OP
jdwreefer

jdwreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a Tomini! They are super cool and stay small.

Ya I'm really tempted to get a tomini. I had one in the past and loved the guy. And 50g is not a lot of water for a tang but that front panel is 48" so he would have some zoom zoom room.

OP
OP
jdwreefer

jdwreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the the tank in its spot. I started gluing together rocks but ran out. Tried to take a pic of that but fur monster got in the way. 20221014_065250.jpg 20221014_092506.jpg

OP
OP
jdwreefer

jdwreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the aquascape so far. A wall along the right side and an island on the left with a crease between them. I think it all needs to be 4" taller but I need to get a few more rocks. 20221016_085418.jpg 20221016_085426.jpg

OP
OP
jdwreefer

jdwreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started filling! I got my rocks put together in a way I like. Pieces were temporary glued together with super glue, then after getting a good scape i permanently glued the joints with Marco rocks mortar.

20221020_170430.jpg

I also got my clownfish There are three fish stores within an hour of me but none of them had lightning maroons in stock. They didn't know when they would be able to order some, and the Petco 10 minutes away had 3. The smaller one with less pattern is the fish I saw that pushed me back into saltwater. Pairing these two couldn't have been easier. I put the lil guy in an isolation box in the QT tank for a day. They didn't show any aggression and even were trying to swim together with the box in the way. So I took a risk and released the smaller one the next morning and they've been acting like they had been together forever.

20221020_170621.jpg

Now I'm going to let the 54g stew for a week, maybe, and run the clowns through a deworming treatment. I do need to buy powerheads in the next week or two. Current plan is to do two mp10s. Anyone know if that will be enough for BTA and lps?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back