Captive bred angelfish opinion

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one about a week ago. I feed once a day and leave masstick in her isolation box for her to pick at throughout the day. She's somewhat shy still and doesn't usually eat in front of me, but the food is gone when I come back from work.

I will say in terms of hardiness, when the store I work at ordered CB navarchus for the first time, the shipment was delayed for 40 hours and both were perfectly fine after that. Sample size of two, but that seems like a decent indication to me about their hardiness.

Of course, any younger fish should have a consistent supply of food, that's a no brainer, especially with grazers like angelfish. That's why people are making a big deal out of the captive breeding: the fish has to WANT to eat for that to work. That's why these companies are focusing primarily on the rarer and harder to keep species, because 1: they make more money and 2: they can have people find success with fish that are normally not easy to keep. I just missed out on the round of CB multibars that were floating around, really kicking myself about that after having this regal and seeing how she acts.
I totally get that. If I had the cash I would have grabbed a CB multibar, a CB regal, and a CB venustus. I wouldn't mind one of the navarchus either... but unfortunately my new fish and coral budget is zero until my next semester starts on campus.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can clearly see the yellow coloration starting to fade in the chest area. For a comparison, just look at the rest of the fish and compare it to the chest area and you can see that the rest is clearly more yellow than the chest is. Here’s a picture of my wild caught yellow belly you can clearly see that the chest is the same bold color yellow as the rest of the fish.

E6DAE835-ACB9-4BA6-8156-04C36939762B.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can clearly start to see the yellow coloration fading in the chest area. For a comparison, just look at the rest of the fish and compare it to the chest area and you can see that the rest is clearly more yellow than the chest is. Here’s a picture of my wild caught yellow belly you can clearly see that the chest is the same bold color yellow as the rest of the fish.

E6DAE835-ACB9-4BA6-8156-04C36939762B.jpeg
Uh, my fish is uniformly yellow, maybe the lighting isn't doing it justice. Also, it's about the size of a nickel. The fish in your picture is significantly larger. I don't think it's possible to see a difference in fish that young.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, my fish is uniformly yellow, maybe the lighting isn't doing it justice. Also, it's about the size of a nickel. The fish in your picture is significantly larger. I don't think it's possible to see a difference in fish that young.
OK. If that’s how you feel then who am I to argue.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. If that’s how you feel then who am I to argue.
I mean, the only thing I've read about the true juvenile coloration being different between the locales is a slight difference in tint of the tail, supposedly the grey-belly juveniles' tails are tinted more green than yellow. Haven't really seen a direct comparison though.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, the only thing I've read about the true juvenile coloration being different between the locales is a slight difference in tint of the tail, supposedly the grey-belly juveniles' tails are tinted more green than yellow. Haven't really seen a direct comparison though.
I don’t know if it’s the lighting or the camera you used to take the picture but that photo clearly shows a much bolder yellow coloration on the top half of the fish than in the chest area. I hope it turns into a yellow belly for you. I really do. But it doesn’t look like it from that photo.

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s the lighting or the camera you used to take the picture but that photo clearly shows a much bolder yellow coloration on the top half of the fish then in the chest area. I hope it turns into a yellow belly for you. I really do. But it doesn’t look like it from that photo.
Yeah if that's what you meant it's definitely lighting. The light is centered on the holding tank and the breeder box is on the edge of that lighting. Guess time will tell. I thought I read awhile back that BA took yellow bellies only for their brood stock, but maybe that was only the first batch they produced.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do folks purchase their baby regals with expecations or for the fun of watching them grow? As long as my family gets to watch the process of juvenile to adult I could care less which phenotype we end up with
I think a lot of the time it’s with expectations of wanting a Red Sea regal as they’re “prettier” (I honestly prefer the Red Sea but you gotta see an Indonesian in person to really enjoy it). But I couldn’t even begin to dream of spending quite so much money for just an Indonesian when I could get a WC juvenile for less of a price tag.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do folks purchase their baby regals with expecations or for the fun of watching them grow? As long as my family gets to watch the process of juvenile to adult I could care less which phenotype we end up with
I got mine with the expectation of watching it grow. Short lived plan. Waiting on a small yellow belly now.

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one about a week ago. I feed once a day and leave masstick in her isolation box for her to pick at throughout the day. She's somewhat shy still and doesn't usually eat in front of me, but the food is gone when I come back from work.

I will say in terms of hardiness, when the store I work at ordered CB navarchus for the first time, the shipment was delayed for 40 hours and both were perfectly fine after that. Sample size of two, but that seems like a decent indication to me about their hardiness.

Of course, any younger fish should have a consistent supply of food, that's a no brainer, especially with grazers like angelfish. That's why people are making a big deal out of the captive breeding: the fish has to WANT to eat for that to work. That's why these companies are focusing primarily on the rarer and harder to keep species, because 1: they make more money and 2: they can have people find success with fish that are normally not easy to keep. I just missed out on the round of CB multibars that were floating around, really kicking myself about that after having this regal and seeing how she acts.

I was this close to buying 2x but the multibars were ~.5 inch. Teeny tiny. Smaller than the regals. I’d have to buy a nanny cam at that point

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regal angels they’ve captive bred are actually Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens. So they will have the yellow belly but are also the brightest of the three colours.

As for the OP’s question. These are supposed to be trained onto eating a variety of prepared foods, pellets, frozen ect… however, pellets alone cannot suffice as a diet for any fish (Even Clownfish, Gobies, Blennies ect) so it’s best to go for the varied or frozen and herbivorous diet (Personally if I have a tunicate or sponge suitable tank then I would propagate that for food for the Angel as it is their natural diet).

As for how often you should feed, since the angels you’re seeing are the harder species, yes they need 3 times a day feeding unless you have plenty of grazing areas throughout the day.

Slightly off topic but I have been of the opinion for years dried foods on their own are not sufficient nutritionally for our fish. I hardly ever use dried foods and much prefer to buy frozen and make my own. I purchase squid, mussel, clam, fish roe, scallops etc and process them myself which I have done for years. I even feed fresh seaweed to my fish which I grow in my ATS.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the UK many if not most LFSs buy their stock from TMC . The hardest Regal angel fish they source from the red sea which is approximately 5 hours flying time to the UK.

Here's mine with my multi bar angel from 4 years ago before I broke the tank down and moved house.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic but I have been of the opinion for years dried foods on their own are not sufficient nutritionally for our fish. I hardly ever use dried foods and much prefer to buy frozen and make my own. I purchase squid, mussel, clam, fish roe, scallops etc and process them myself which I have done for years. I even feed fresh seaweed to my fish which I grow in my ATS.
That’s interesting - I mainly have a very nicely seeded tank and feed one large lot of frozen mysis/brine.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the UK many if not most LFSs buy their stock from TMC . The hardest Regal angel fish they source from the red sea which is approximately 5 hours flying time to the UK.

Here's mine with my multi bar angel from 4 years ago before I broke the tank down and moved house.

Love that multi bar too!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Captive Bred fish we get here are extremely limited, it’s mainly clowns but the odd CB Paracentropyge does appear, other than that I don’t think I’ve seen anything else captive bred.
Your regal looks stunning, what are your thoughts on Multibars? I’ve got a 3’x16” custom tank that I would love to have an Angel species in. I’ve been on the edge with going for either a P. Venusta, P. Multifasciatus or C. multicolor.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. Flavissima is fairly common as a CB fish in China. Bred by Bali Aquarich. In fact I think was the first Centropyge species Su succeeded with. I wonder if the CB ones are safer with corals, I am fish over corals but would still like a few softies.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Captive Bred fish we get here are extremely limited, it’s mainly clowns but the odd CB Paracentropyge does appear, other than that I don’t think I’ve seen anything else captive bred.
Your regal looks stunning, what are your thoughts on Multibars? I’ve got a 3’x16” custom tank that I would love to have an Angel species in. I’ve been on the edge with going for either a P. Venusta, P. Multifasciatus or C. multicolor.

I had a pair of Mumtibars a few years ago until I broke the tank down to move house. They were fine while I had them. They never touched any corals I could see.
Look here.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back