Captive bred yellow tangs?

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m looking for anyone that has or knows some that has a captive bred yellow tang. I’m looking for possibly two, one for my frag system one for my main DT. Was thinking about captive bred because they’re smaller and I could keep one in my frag system comfortably for a little longer. When he outgrows I’d donate him back to LFS. For my main display tank I was thinking a captive bred because they are also smaller and I’m hoping wouldn’t really fight with any other tank inhabits at that young. Just had to get a blonde Naso tang out of my DT and don’t want to have to do something like that again. The research I’ve done shows a lot of them getting HLLE and having scarring. That’s not a big deal for the frag tank but for my main DT i would like a nice looking fish. Should I get a wild one for DT? Any advice or information is appreciated, thank you :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your frag system?
Aggressiveness they are the same as wild caught. Which is a to say each yellow will be a bit different temperament wise. Usually their aggression is towards similar species or fellow algae eaters.

that said while very young they are very timid, not very fast, if have other aggressive fish like dwarf angels or some blennys, i would use an acclimation box.

the benefits of captive bred is more to do with health than size imo. The was no collection injuries, hopefully less disease, already accustomed to a tank.

I have since sold him, but had bought this one to test feeding supplements.

66283C99-7A1A-4529-8933-D91E46EC0474.jpeg C502DCC7-ED18-4DAF-B199-E1E2B0D87249.jpeg 061F827B-EAD7-443C-AB09-DE2C3AF30FCC.jpeg

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred Yellow tang. He was small and is pretty mild in temperament. My only complaint is that i bought mine online and it wasn’t WYSIWYG. It came in tiny (which was good) but suffering from mild HLLE. He’s been with me for about 6 months and is in much better shape now but still shows some signs of HLLE.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your frag system?
Aggressiveness they are the same as wild caught. Which is a to say each yellow will be a bit different temperament wise. Usually their aggression is towards similar species or fellow algae eaters.

that said while very young they are very timid, not very fast, if have other aggressive fish like dwarf angels or some blennys, i would use an acclimation box.

the benefits of captive bred is more to do with health than size imo. The was no collection injuries, hopefully less disease, already accustomed to a tank.

I have since sold him, but had bought this one to test feeding supplements

He would be going in a 2 foot by 4 foot tank.

Other fish in my display tank are magnificent rabbit fish, blue hippo tang, Midas blenny, marble wrasse and pearly jawfish. Everyone gets along fine now and really don’t want to disturb the peace.

How long did you have him on your system and did you see any downside to captive bred?

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred Yellow tang. He was small and is pretty mild in temperament. My only complaint is that i bought mine online and it wasn’t WYSIWYG. It came in tiny (which was good) but suffering from mild HLLE. He’s been with me for about 6 months and is in much better shape now but still shows some signs of HLLE.
Yeah that’s sadly what I’m afraid of. I’ve seen a fair amount of posts claiming captive bred tangs had HLLE. No problem for a frag tank but my display would be different.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He would be going in a 2 foot by 4 foot tank.

Other fish in my display tank are magnificent rabbit fish, blue hippo tang, Midas blenny, marble wrasse and pearly jawfish. Everyone gets along fine now and really don’t want to disturb the peace.

How long did you have him on your system and did you see any downside to captive bred?

i would use both a mirror and an acclimation box adding to a tank with a resident tang.

i did not notice any health issues, i actually selected from a tank with sick fish on purpose and he never did.
had from the end of October till the beginning of this week.

fed a mixture of hikari mega marine, nori sheets and my feed supplement(antioxidants doubtful this played any role in not having hlle).

Spent 2 weeks in chelated copper and 2 weeks in observation, and fed metro with feedings for the first 2 weeks.

oceanicbrent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't tell anyone but I have 3 Biota yellow tangs in a 90G, I've had them for over a year, we're talking 0 aggression, fat & happy. They were still transparent when I got them, they are a good bit bigger now but I doubt they will max out in a 90G. These are a great choice for a smaller system.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 captive bred yellow tangs. The first one I got had very mild HLLE. Second one has none. I would not let this deter you from purchase. Both arrived healthy, vigorous feeding well and active. Support aquaculture and get yourself a couple as well! It supports the current and future of the hobby and industry.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Hi everyone I’m looking for anyone that has or knows some that has a captive bred yellow tang. I’m looking for possibly two, one for my frag system one for my main DT. Was thinking about captive bred because they’re smaller and I could keep one in my frag system comfortably for a little longer. When he outgrows I’d donate him back to LFS. For my main display tank I was thinking a captive bred because they are also smaller and I’m hoping wouldn’t really fight with any other tank inhabits at that young. Just had to get a blonde Naso tang out of my DT and don’t want to have to do something like that again. The research I’ve done shows a lot of them getting HLLE and having scarring. That’s not a big deal for the frag tank but for my main DT i would like a nice looking fish. Should I get a wild one for DT? Any advice or information is appreciated, thank you :)
I bought a biota yellow tang. It had severe permanent hlle. It seems captive bread yellow tangs have this issue a lot. See the link

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a biota yellow tang. It had severe permanent hlle. It seems captive bread yellow tangs have this issue a lot. See the link
The captive bred tangs on the market look nothing like the pictures in those articles. Not the best picture(iPhone) but here’s one of mine. Can you see any? This is the one with slight HLLE
9D07481F-17B2-4BD9-9BCB-A0990BCA5C7D.jpeg

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
The captive bred tangs on the market look nothing like the pictures in those articles. Not the best picture(iPhone) but here’s one of mine. Can you see any? This is the one with slight HLLE
9D07481F-17B2-4BD9-9BCB-A0990BCA5C7D.jpeg
This is the biota yellow Tang i got from liveaquaria.

It was bought about a month ago
20191128_102908.jpg 20191128_101930.jpg

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the biota yellow Tang i got from liveaquaria.

It was bought about a month ago
20191128_102908.jpg 20191128_101930.jpg
Yes that’s very noticeable. I’m surprised they sold that at full price. That’s something I would talk to the seller about and ask for a refund. On the positive side perhaps you can provide the fish a good home. It’s too bad they don’t have WYSIWYG on the captive bred tangs.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay follow up questions.

For those of you that got captive bred yellow tangs what company did you purchase them from.

And for those whose came in heavily HLLE scarred or you were not satisfied where did you purchase it from.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back