Captive vs Wild Corals

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a dumb question I’ve had for a while and never gotten around to asking, especially to anyone with SCUBA diving experience. I feel like there is a major discrepancy between the corals I see in stores, in pictures of peoples tanks, and in my own tank with videos I see of wild coral reefs. Every documentary I see about saving the reefs has some “ok” looking corals, but I feel like I never see anything as incredible as when I see nicely set up reef tanks. I know that in the wild there certainly must be a lot of “boring” corals, but I feel like wild reefs look nothing like reef tanks. How is this? Is the percentage of “beautiful” corals really that low? Can corals be bred to be better looking than their wild counterparts? I thought they only reproduced asexually. Do undersea cameras not capture the coloration on video well? I’ve always felt so out-of-the-loop for thinking this..

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Its all about the lighting. If you take the incredible looking corals in people tanks and put them under 10k sunlight they would look bland. Its using the blues and purple spectrum to get the corals to glow in the tanks.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few factors at play here. As mentioned, contemporary LES lighting is definitely transformative in terms of colouration in corals. Have a look at reef tanks in the ‘90’s to mid 2000’s.

The other issue is location. A lot of the habitat where recreational diving operations frequent are not where high end LPS and SPS species are routinely collected.

Lastly, you need to really focus in on a dive to locate some of the desirable aquarium specimens. Thriving reefs can be overwhelming, the detail can be easily overlooked.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back