CarboCalcium uptake

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
First thread post, so apologies if it’s in the wrong section.

I’ve been using Topic Marins CarboCalcium for a few months now, in power form, which I’m pretty happy with. The question I’m looking to answer is about it’s uptake ratio and wether I’m using it correctly.

So I add approximately 30ml per day to my tank which has approximately 150L net volume. The target parameters are maintained at 8.0Dkh and 425ppm Ca. The CarboCalcium dose a sterling job at maintaining the Calcium which is typically rock solid at the target as confirmed by a bi weekly test with a Salifert test kit. The alkalinity demands are not being met though, with a deficit of around 0.3Dkh per week, I for-fill this with water changes or Bicarbonate additions. I’ve maintained the dose based on the stable parameter in the knowledge that uptake isn’t always even.

So question;
Am I following the process correctly? Should I chase the Alkalinity stability with the CarboCalcium assuming that Calcium will settle at a higher level. Or am I doing it right and should continue in this way.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that you are using a lot of the carbocalcium. I dose ~26ml per day for 450L and it keeps my alk pretty steady at 8 dKH and Calcium at 480. I haven't noticed much variation in my alk, maybe +/- 0.1 dKH between tests (1 to 2 weeks apart) To me, this variation is likely within the limits of the test (Salifert)

Remember that the alk from carbocalcium (calcium formate) does not get released directly into the water column when dosed. It takes a day or maybe more for the bacteria to act on the formate and release alk. This also acts as a type of carbon dosing. I've had to stop dosing my DIY NOPOX; the carbocalcium alone is keeping my nitrates at 2-5 ppm.

You won't notice much of a change in calcium on a bi-weekly test schedule. IIRC, only 20 to 30ppm of calcium gets consumed for every 2.8dKH of alk consumed, so you can expect to see more of a flux with alk.

Having said all that, there is probably nothing wrong with supplementing alk on an as-required basis.

WELCOME TO R2R!

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with Rybren ^ above. I have 500L system and dose 35 ml (9dKH, 465 Ca). Having said that everyone’s reef is different with its uptake. If you are rockin‘ a full reef with hungry corals that may explain it. Assuming nothing is off with the numbers or the test kits, you could also dose a bit more as an increase to your Ca wouldn’t hurt your reef. Either way, whatever way you go about it, take your time and go slow. I always liked the analogy of turning an ocean liner not a speed boat. Have fun and welcome!

OP
OP
D

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through my notes it’s 28ml a day. The tank is two years old now so there is a good head of fast growing SPS.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
First thread post, so apologies if it’s in the wrong section.

I’ve been using Topic Marins CarboCalcium for a few months now, in power form, which I’m pretty happy with. The question I’m looking to answer is about it’s uptake ratio and wether I’m using it correctly.

So I add approximately 30ml per day to my tank which has approximately 150L net volume. The target parameters are maintained at 8.0Dkh and 425ppm Ca. The CarboCalcium dose a sterling job at maintaining the Calcium which is typically rock solid at the target as confirmed by a bi weekly test with a Salifert test kit. The alkalinity demands are not being met though, with a deficit of around 0.3Dkh per week, I for-fill this with water changes or Bicarbonate additions. I’ve maintained the dose based on the stable parameter in the knowledge that uptake isn’t always even.

So question;
Am I following the process correctly? Should I chase the Alkalinity stability with the CarboCalcium assuming that Calcium will settle at a higher level. Or am I doing it right and should continue in this way.

That is a very small deficit (0.3 dKH per week). Just add more if you want alk very slightly higher. The calcium will hardly change at all (maybe 2 ppm per week).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are saying that is a lot or carbocalcium use? I am up to 75ml per day in a 350Litre system and its still not keeping up with demand.

You should determine the dKH per day needed or being added to determine what is excessive.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back