Carbon dosing reduces Alk

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what I've experienced and some folks too who carbon dose, be that NoPox or Vinegar or Vodka.

I can't remember what was the explanation for this.

If I recall correctly it is definitely not due to corals uptake, nor precipitation.

How does Carbon reduces Alkalinity?

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see what others say because I always thought the breakdown of Nitrate would increase Alk.

Brian Treadwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Carbon dosed vodka and vinegar to lower No3 and Po4 but it never lowered my dkh , but from my understanding when Carbon dosing due to lower nutrients you should get your dkh lower , I have stop the carbon and my dkh is the same as when I dosed carbon , I had to dose Alk. And Ca then and still do.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is used in nitrification, that same alkalinity is released during denitrification. It is not usually enough to really notice.

You can read about it here: www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/

It could be that when people lower nutrients the corals start growing more so the uptake of alkalinty is increased. Maybe that's what they were referring to without knowing what was going on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is used in nitrification, that same alkalinity is released during denitrification. It is not usually enough to really notice.

You can read about it here: www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/

It could be that when people lower nutrients the corals start growing more so the uptake of alkalinty is increased. Maybe that's what they were referring to without knowing what was going on?

I skimmed (read) through it and noticed the No3 export was via WC and not Carbon dosed (skimmed out) so not sure if it's apple-to-apple comparison.

Unless I've missed out on things (apology), the question stands as to why Carbon dosing depletes Alk? It could be the Coralline that takes it but I'm noticing no precipitation and Ca hardly depletes and Mg is staying put as 1,500.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what I've experienced and some folks too who carbon dose, be that NoPox or Vinegar or Vodka.

I can't remember what was the explanation for this.

If I recall correctly it is definitely not due to corals uptake, nor precipitation.

How does Carbon reduces Alkalinity?

It doesn't.

It might alter the growth rate of corals, or reduce the pH, both of which alter the demand for alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see what others say because I always thought the breakdown of Nitrate would increase Alk.

It does, but the production of that nitrate depletes alk by the same amount (which was noted above). ;)

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed (read) through it and noticed the No3 export was via WC and not Carbon dosed (skimmed out) so not sure if it's apple-to-apple comparison.

Sorry, I thought you would read between the lines. Back when Randy wrote that article, carbon dosing wasn't a "household term".

You're welcome too. :) (hehehehe)

Last edited:
OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I thought you would read between the lines. Back when Randy wrote that article, carbon dosing wasn't a "household term".

You're welcome too. :) (hehehehe)

ThankYou.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back