Carbon dosing solution?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05C21FEF-DABA-448C-9E57-6495FB616B0E.jpeg
It’s difficult to determine by the picture in your case, I don’t see the gas bubbles that dinoflagellates normally have, it could be diatoms as you suspect, only way to be absolutely sure is by looking under a microscope.

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s difficult to determine by the picture in your case, I don’t see the gas bubbles that dinoflagellates normally have, it could be diatoms as you suspect, only way to be absolutely sure is by looking under a microscope.
Yeah kinda hard to see it now, in your opinion should I continue carbon dosing anyway to reduce my phosphate?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah kinda hard to see it now, in your opinion should I continue carbon dosing anyway to reduce my phosphate?
No, the only way to carry on carbon dosing safety is to raise nitrates with calcium or sodium nitrate first. Wile carbon dosing you should at all times keep nitrates and phosphates detectable for a new tank I wouldn’t go lower than 5ppm and 0.05 respectively. There is many options available for you if you wish to carry on getting benefits from carbon dosing, for example bacto balance from tropic marine, this product is ideal to use in low nutrient (not zero) as it has 3 macro nutrients in it, by containing dissolved organic carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus.

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the only way to carry on carbon dosing safety is to raise nitrates with calcium or sodium nitrate first. Wile carbon dosing you should at all times keep nitrates and phosphates detectable for a new tank I wouldn’t go lower than 5ppm and 0.05 respectively. There is many options available for you if you wish to carry on getting benefits from carbon dosing, for example bacto balance from tropic marine, this product is ideal to use in low nutrient (not zero) as it has 3 macro nutrients in it, by containing dissolved organic carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus.
Ok thank you for your tips I’ll follow it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back