Carbon dosing with distilled white vinager.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
my nitrates are currently above 100 in my 65g mixed reef. It's been running for 5 years. I was told carbon dosing can help with my algae and nitrates. How do I do this?
65 gallons is pretty small. You can do a 50% water change and slice the nitrate number in half.

I’d consider starting a carbon dosing regime afterwards.

I made this vinegar dosing chart which should be very easy to follow.

IMG_9011.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a lot less vodka than vinegar. That’s why I chose vodka.

I’m not sure I understand that logic. Vinegar is cheaper, even considering the extra water in it. Is it a problem to dose a larger volume?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also scratching my head. Vodka is 8x more potent. You can easily match the same doses by simply dosing more 8x more vinegar as you would vodka which will equal the same carbon dosing effect.

Even with dosing 8x more vinegar, it’s still much cheaper than vodka. Purely from an economical perspective, vinegar wins.

As Randy mentioned, if dosing a smaller volume is a priority, then vodka would be the better option.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand that logic. Vinegar is cheaper, even considering the extra water in it. Is it a problem to dose a larger volume?
Just my preference.

I don’t like the smell of vinegar so much. I pay 20$ for a 750 ml vodka bottle that lasts me a few months at least. I also like the fact that the vodka bottle doesn’t take much space.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Mother, I would like to use your bottle of vodka to give to my fishes to make their living environment better."
Or she just finds a bottle of vodka hidden in his room and his explanation is that it's "for the fish tank". I can see it now..

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chart shared above is a good start, but here is a bit more guidance. I used this with success using vinegar and a cheap jebao auto dosing pump. It is very effective at reducing nitrates. In fact, it is so effective that I eventually stopped because I couldn’t keep up with the nitrate dosing needed to keep it from zeroing out and starving my corals.

IMG_3944.png

You are probably better off with a few large water changes and getting a skimmer to remove the organics that are contributing to your nitrate problem. That said, there are other benefits to carbon dosing, so it is a fine option. Just make sure you are committed to it and understand the additional nitrate dosing that may be required when you get to the ultra-low nutrient state.

Here is a good article on the topic: https://reefkeeping.com/joomla/inde...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chart shared above is a good start, but here is a bit more guidance. I used this with success using vinegar and a cheap jebao auto dosing pump. It is very effective at reducing nitrates. In fact, it is so effective that I eventually stopped because I couldn’t keep up with the nitrate dosing needed to keep it from zeroing out and starving my corals.

IMG_3944.png

You are probably better off with a few large water changes and getting a skimmer to remove the organics that are contributing to your nitrate problem. That said, there are other benefits to carbon dosing, so it is a fine option. Just make sure you are committed to it and understand the additional nitrate dosing that may be required when you get to the ultra-low nutrient state.

Here is a good article on the topic: https://reefkeeping.com/joomla/inde...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium
A skimmer is required for carbon dosing regardless, so I agree. I would get a skimmer, do a couple water changes then re evaluate..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my preference.

I don’t like the smell of vinegar so much. I pay 20$ for a 750 ml vodka bottle that lasts me a few months at least. I also like the fact that the vodka bottle doesn’t take much space.

Ok, that’s fair enough. :)

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter that we're discussing organic carbon for a fish tank and that he can NOT use vodka because be is 14?
That is fine.

The problem was when some users were joking underage people sneaking alcoholic substances. Randy gave a kind reminder of the TOS. You didn’t say anything out of line. :)

Back