Carbon dosing

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking. Looks like I’ve stabilized around 30ppm nitrate and .1 ppm phosphate. A little higher than I’d like but at least stable. I’ve been doing 25% water changes weekly but I’d like to go back yo half that weekly. Might think about doing the Elimi-NP to get my numbers down to 10ppm and .05ppm.

I talked to Lou about the ratio a while back and he said to not worry about the ratio and use Elimi-np if above 0.1 ppm and switch to Bacto balance if below.

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Lou about the ratio a while back and he said to not worry about the ratio and use Elimi-np if above 0.1 ppm and switch to Bacto balance if below.
Good to know. I might get my nitrate and phosphate down a bit and then maintain with bacto balance.

juniorgomez708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking. Looks like I’ve stabilized around 30ppm nitrate and .1 ppm phosphate. A little higher than I’d like but at least stable. I’ve been doing 25% water changes weekly but I’d like to go back yo half that weekly. Might think about doing the Elimi-NP to get my numbers down to 10ppm and .05ppm.
I would like to be able to do only one 10% water change a month I just started dosing vinegar on my 210 reef tank. I’m going to give it a try for a couple of months and see how it goes.
Keep us posted on your tank!

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Seems like my Nitrates have stabilized around ~30 ppm and Phosphate at 0.05 ppm. Those numbers seem ok? Tank seems to be doing better and the corals are starting to grow more. Still don't know why I can't get my nitrates below 30 but I guess I'll have to work with it.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Seems like my Nitrates have stabilized around ~30 ppm and Phosphate at 0.05 ppm. Those numbers seem ok? Tank seems to be doing better and the corals are starting to grow more. Still don't know why I can't get my nitrates below 30 but I guess I'll have to work with it.
You may need to add some phosphates to get that nitrate to come down you possibly are phosphate Limited causing this

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for updating us. Alot of members here ask for advise get things turn around and never update the community on their progress. Bravo for updating the group. Funny this popped up today, My Tropic Marin NP Bacto Ballance is working so well, I had to start dosing Nitrates, I went down from 40ppm to 1 PPM. Raised it to 3 ppm, with Neo Nitro from Brightwell, will try to keep around 3-5 ppm Nitrates. My PO4 is staying steady at .05 ppm.

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to add some phosphates to get that nitrate to come down you possibly are phosphate Limited causing this
Interesting idea. I'll work on raising my phosphates (stop the GFO). Do you think I should continue with the Elimi NP or go back to the Bacto balance?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea. I'll work on raising my phosphates (stop the GFO). Do you think I should continue with the Elimi NP or go back to the Bacto balance?
So it’s funny you’re asking about the bacto and the Elimi because I’m going through the same thing right now and not sure when to switch or how to switch. I’m at 8 nitrates and .15 phosphates and still using elimi. Not sure when to switch to bacto. I’m thinking I possibly need to up my dose a little bit to bring my numbers down a little bit more than switch to bacto. I do know that being phosphate Limited is a thing they need to be more equal and then the system works better at removing them

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say my numbers where 25 nitrates and .37 phosphates before started carbon. I am also dosing 250ml a day of live phyto in this 420gallon system aswell. I contribute nutrient drop to the phyto dosing as well. I’m using very little Elimi.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say my numbers where 25 nitrates and .37 phosphates before started carbon. I am also dosing 250ml a day of live phyto in this 420gallon system aswell. I contribute nutrient drop to the phyto dosing as well. I’m using very little Elimi.
Are you dosing live Phyto ?

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to give up on the Elimi but I guess I should just keep using it until I run out. I'll try upping my phosphates and keep using Elimi for another few weeks. But if my nitrates don't drop at all then I might have to go with other carbon dosing (Vodka, etc.)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep running Elimi, pull GFO, if i'd know you were running GFO I would have suggested to pull that and let the carbon dosing do the work, Pull it asap, then continue with the elimi NP, you will get there. The elimi np would have pulled the No3 Po4 down together, now you're a little lopsided. It will straiten out in time. I would NOT switch to vodka after running the tropic marin products for dosing, Its not the same bacterias that grow from Tropic Marin vs Vodka. Please just let this run its course, you will see the success very soon. Patience is the key when carbon dosing.

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep running Elimi, pull GFO, if i'd know you were running GFO I would have suggested to pull that and let the carbon dosing do the work, Pull it asap, then continue with the elimi NP, you will get there. The elimi np would have pulled the No3 Po4 down together, now you're a little lopsided. It will straiten out in time. I would NOT switch to vodka after running the tropic marin products for dosing, Its not the same bacterias that grow from Tropic Marin vs Vodka. Please just let this run its course, you will see the success very soon. Patience is the key when carbon dosing.
Thanks for the advice. I'll pull the GFO, do you still run carbon while carbon dosing?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I'll pull the GFO, do you still run carbon while carbon dosing?
yes but only passive in a nylon homemade sock, not in a reactor.
the 2 don't have a lot in common, one is a liquid bacteria food source ( Carbon Dosing ) the other is a contaminant filter for yellowing water or for some metal absorption.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to give up on the Elimi but I guess I should just keep using it until I run out. I'll try upping my phosphates and keep using Elimi for another few weeks. But if my nitrates don't drop at all then I might have to go with other carbon dosing (Vodka, etc.)
I would not use vodka either and yes stop the GFO

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And 14 foot is correct on the carbon being different In both situation’s vodka to tropic and tropic to granular

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 14 foot and Fordtech. I've been having issues with this tank ever since I set it up 2 years ago. I downsized from a 90 gallon that was running great with a fuge and calcium reactor and using plain Instant Ocean. The new tank is a 50 gallon cube and I don't have room for a fuge or calcium reactor and tried a fancy salt (Tropic Marin Pro) but I'm not having much luck. I'm dosing 2 part so it should be similar to the calcium reactor. Maybe not having a fuge is an issue. Don't really have room to add one right now. And I think I'm going to switch back to IO salt since TMP has had some issues (and UPS can't stop destroying the boxes).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 14 foot and Fordtech. I've been having issues with this tank ever since I set it up 2 years ago. I downsized from a 90 gallon that was running great with a fuge and calcium reactor and using plain Instant Ocean. The new tank is a 50 gallon cube and I don't have room for a fuge or calcium reactor and tried a fancy salt (Tropic Marin Pro) but I'm not having much luck. I'm dosing 2 part so it should be similar to the calcium reactor. Maybe not having a fuge is an issue. Don't really have room to add one right now. And I think I'm going to switch back to IO salt since TMP has had some issues (and UPS can't stop destroying the boxes).
My decision on the salt would be most likely based upon what my desired tank parameters are if I was running my alkalinity in the sevens or eights I would use tropic Maron if I was running them in the tens or 11s Id use instant ocean

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My decision on the salt would be most likely based upon what my desired tank parameters are if I was running my alkalinity in the sevens or eights I would use tropic Maron if I was running them in the tens or 11s Id use instant ocean
Good point. I guess I don't really care where my alk is, just as long as it's in range. I keep mine around 8.5 but that's due to using TMP. I'm ok with it going a bit higher with the IO. I just can't get TMP locally and am tired of filing claims with UPS for busted salt.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back