Carbon dosing

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m running high nutrients no3 35ppm and .12ppm p04. I’ve been looking around and I like the tropic Marin carbon dosing method so I’m using elimi np to lower to my target range then I’m switching to np bacto balance. I’ve been using for 3 days now and I haven’t seen and reduction in my n03 or p04 if anything they keep going up. Has any body used tropic Marin or have any advice on why my nutrients aren’t going down but instead rising.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m running high nutrients no3 35ppm and .12ppm p04. I’ve been looking around and I like the tropic Marin carbon dosing method so I’m using elimi np to lower to my target range then I’m switching to np bacto balance. I’ve been using for 3 days now and I haven’t seen and reduction in my n03 or p04 if anything they keep going up. Has any body used tropic Marin or have any advice on why my nutrients aren’t going down but instead rising.
It takes time for the bacterial populations to build up. I would follow the recommended dose and wait a few weeks to see if you start getting a decline in nitrates.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reduction of nitrate can take some awhile. Does the product label hint at the reduction time?

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience and grew impatient, so I used nopox. Results were within a day or two. I plan to switch to Tropic Marin NP Balance once I get to my target level. Don’t forget To ensure your skimmer functioning properly.

OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience and grew impatient, so I used nopox. Results were within a day or two. I plan to switch to Tropic Marin NP Balance once I get to my target level. Don’t forget To ensure your skimmer functioning properly.
Ya I think my skimmer is functioning right when I dose elimi np I get a better frothy foam. Do you usually do a wet skim for carbon dosing?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing it says is that I can change the dose after 2 weeks and no more than .5 ml per 26 gal
Be careful when starting their carbon source, take it slow, or you'll be dealing with red stuff in no time. I use all their carbon products, mostly plusNp

Back