Carbon dust micron size?

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my tangs developed hlle, I discontinued use of carbon , I was using marine land cheap carbon in a reactor and swaping it every two weeks. I am switching over to rox 0.8 in the reactor once his hlle goes away do you guys know what size micron the carbon dust would be filtered out at? was thinking of running the exit of my reactor into a 50 micron filter sock for good measure.

any input is welcome

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if the Rox is rinsed prior to use and not tumbling in the reactor, it would not produce any dust (you do not want it grinding). I run Rox in a reactor and I place it in a filter bag, I do have the reactor draining into a 150 micron nylon mesh filter sock. The size of the particles is small and I find it will escape the reactor even with the sponges in place. I have read that carbon may be one cause of HLLE, I have no experience with it though. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as above. Rox 0.8 from BRS in a reactor. The only difference is I run my reactor backwards so the water is pushed down through the carbon so it cannot tumble and grind itself to dust. aNo idea why more people don't just run a reactor backwards for carbon? BRS did a video many years ago about it.

As long as it's rinsed, and not grinding into it's self, dust should not be an issue.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if the Rox is rinsed prior to use and not tumbling in the reactor, it would not produce any dust (you do not want it grinding). I run Rox in a reactor and I place it in a filter bag, I do have the reactor draining into a 150 micron nylon mesh filter sock. The size of the particles is small and I find it will escape the reactor even with the sponges in place. I have read that carbon may be one cause of HLLE, I have no experience with it though. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I already had the other precautions in the tank for hlle prevention. The hlle started after I started running my carbon reactor. Prior to the carbon reactor I was running bags of chemipure with no ill effect.

I run titanium grounding probes, I soak all my food in vita chem prior to feeding, I feed LRS and Nori is available all day for the tangs. only thing that I can point to is the cheap carbon and the ancedotal evidence of many local reefers and people on here hat have had hlle.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my tangs developed hlle, I discontinued use of carbon , I was using marine land cheap carbon in a reactor and swaping it every two weeks. I am switching over to rox 0.8 in the reactor once his hlle goes away do you guys know what size micron the carbon dust would be filtered out at? was thinking of running the exit of my reactor into a 50 micron filter sock for good measure.

any input is welcome

Rox 0.8 does not have this issue. It is acid washed and well rinsed.

I too had issues with tangs for many years, but when I stopped using Aquarium Systems GAC and switchted to ROX 0.8, I no longer had the issue (FWIW, I also stopped ozone, so cannot be 100% sure it was the GAC).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back