Carbon Filtering Skimmer Intakes?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
5,298
Reaction score
12,733
Location
Pensacola, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I'm dealing with some STN on several of my Acropora, among other coral issues, in my 20 galling reef right now and I have a hunch the issue might be in the air...

My apartment is currently under exterior construction right now and the contractors are using some fairly potent waterproofing chemicals, "Florida-Grade" adhesives, and exterior paints, all of which put off quite the odor and leave a chemical-like taste in your mouth. In response, my girlfriend and I have had to incorporate a few fragrance diffusers and we burn scented candles when we are home since the smell of the chemicals gives us some strong migraines.

All of these chemicals in the air are bound to have some sort of effect on my tank, so I wanted to see if you guys and gals think incorporating some sort of carbon air filter to my skimmer intake tube would be a good idea. Right now there is one of those noise reducers hooked to it (see picture below).

15542378809192600586055211553849.jpg


What do you guys think? Would a small carbon air filter help my tank any, or would I still be on the losing side due to passive air diffusion into the tank? Have any of you incorporated something similar to your skimmer intake?
 
Sounds like a good plan of attack. 20g is a tough size for sps. Let me read through your tank journal :-)
 
I have a Curve B9 that pulls a lot of air from the outside. I won't say my neighbor is a hillbilly BUT HE'S A HILLBILLY! Constantly burning brush, stumps etc. I ordered some coconut shell carbon and made a filter using 2" pvc and a 2" shower drain with foam to keep it from falling out.
 
I have a Curve B9 that pulls a lot of air from the outside. I won't say my neighbor is a hillbilly BUT HE'S A HILLBILLY! Constantly burning brush, stumps etc. I ordered some coconut shell carbon and made a filter using 2" pvc and a 2" shower drain with foam to keep it from falling out.
Can you tell if it made any noticeable improvement? PVC fittings were going to be my plan of attack as well with some plain filter floss and granulated carbon (BRS ROX 0.8 most likely).
 
Can you tell if it made any noticeable improvement? PVC fittings were going to be my plan of attack as well with some plain filter floss and granulated carbon (BRS ROX 0.8 most likely).
I've only had it for about a week. Can't tell for sure but it definitely can't hurt right?
 
Can you buy a bit of tubing and run the intake out a window temporarily???
I would need like 30 feet of tubing, plus my cat would make it a perforated tube pretty quickly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new