Carbon vs. No Carbon

  • Thread starter Thread starter MysticSea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
there is something good that carbon absorb?

I mentioned that the binding of metals bound to organics could be a pro or a con. Those metals can include trace elements you may want. I don’t think that is a reason to avoid GAC however.

I am not aware of any actual organic materials that one doesn’t want bound, unless you are adding medications to the water. I don’t think vitamins added to the water are needed, but some vitamins may bind as well.
 
Is it true that carbon causes HITH/HLLE ? I come from fresh where carbon is considered a major culprit of HITH for large cichlids (oscars primarily) and I am seeing it come up with tangs in salt. Any thoughts on this?
I believe the main culprit there is if it is not THOROUGHLY rinsed first! The residual dust can be a problem in the HLLE department. At least this is what I have read.
 
I use it 24/7. I believe it definitely helps with water clarity, and cloar chemical warfare. I try to change it every 2 weeks minimum.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new