CaribSea LifeRock shapes (from Amazon)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kika
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The only aggressive one is the damsel. Rest are peaceful.. except the two clowns who will fight until they are paired.
Not so. Damsels and Clownfish are in the same family of fish, and will fight between each other; both are considered aggressive fish. The Royal gramma is typically middle of the road, not as aggressive as the other three, but not a true peaceful fish either. Again, I’d rethink this stocking list or at least ask others here what they think is best.
 
What do you recommend? I want two clowns but the other 3 I’m flexible on.
Not so. Damsels and Clownfish are in the same family of fish, and will fight between each other; both are considered aggressive fish. The Royal gramma is typically middle of the road, not as aggressive as the other three, but not a true peaceful fish either. Again, I’d rethink this stocking list or at least ask others here what they think is best.
 
What do you recommend? I want two clowns but the other 3 I’m flexible on.
I would consider starting a thread asking for something like "Help with stocking list for Fluval 13", I think you'd get a lot of replies, and you would be getting more than just my advice, which I'd always suggest 🤪

And, I would always research or ask here at R2R before purchasing any livestock, don't just believe what the worker at the fish store tells you!

My honest thoughts - and in no way am I trying to be a downer - is that a pair of Clowns are really best for 15 and ideally 20+ gallon tanks. Clowfish do get quite big and they are stocky, and they are definitely aggressive and need their own space. That said, many, many people keep a pair of Clowns in 10+ gallons, so if you really want Clownfish, you could do it, just be aware that Clownfish are definitely aggressive (more so when they get bigger), and may not tolerate any other fish in "their" home.

Similarly, both Damsels and Royal Grammas are typically suggested for tanks 30 gallons and up. Although small, Damsels can be terrors. Royal Grammas range, some are quite peaceful, but they all have the potential to be aggressive.

Have you seen a Goby fish/Pistol Shrimp combo pair? This is a fish and shrimp that live together, and make a really awesome display in a smaller tank.

I would look for fish like small gobies and bennies, maybe a fire fish. Here's some posts on R2R that may help:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-evo-13-5-stocking.900688/https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/stocking-ideas-for-evo-13-5-gallon.983488/https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-13-5-stocking-ideas.937463/
Here's a list from another forum with some stocking ideas based on tank size that might help:
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/
And, I would encourage you to look into some invertebrates. Your Fluval kit has a light than can support many easy to care for corals. There's also a lot of cool shrimp, crabs, hermits and other inverts that again are really great in a small tank. Many little animals that would get lost in bigger tanks can be the stars of the show in a smaller tank.

I hope this helps; let us know if you have further questions or need further stocking ideas!
 
I’ve only used those CaribSea rocks once, and I’ve batted green hair algae for 2 years since doing it. I would always recommend live rock to anyone starting a new tank. Or at least a couple of pieces to augment the dry rock if price is the issue. You can’t beat the bio diversity of real live rock.
hahaha yep, that's part of the package they don't tell you about. I lived the precious experience myself.
lesson learned, eh? 😂
 
🤪

And, I would always research or ask here at R2R before purchasing any livestock, don't just believe what the worker at the fish store tells you!
"No sweat! A trevally is perfect for a 10 gallon tank and they are totally peaceful with small fish!" 🤣
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new