fluval evo 13.5 stocking

gatling02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with saltwater fish but have had that 65 for a about 7 years as a freshwater tank so I'm not entirely new.

I'd want to have corals so they'd need to be reef safe. I don't want clown fish either because they can get aggressive but mainly because I see them everywhere and want my tank to feel more unique.

Because of all the conflicting information I see I'm not sure about this list but if this is fine I'd love to go with is.

-Randell's Assessor
Not much info on them but if they can be kept in this tank and are as vibrant as the picture on live
aquaria it would be set- the picture attached

-Cleaner shrimp

-A goby pistol pair
I'm leaning towards a watchman goby because I've heard that they'll actually let the cleaner shrimp clean them despite the size difference but I don't know if it would because of the pistol shrimp. Also I've seen people say that the two shrimps won't see each other and a pistol that pairs with the goby is unlikely to attack anything, but I still don't have an answer for a smaller tank.

-If I could keep another fish with this list and it wasn't too much I'd have a Springeri Dottyback. I've heard they can be aggressive and its a small tank so I don't know if that would be too much anyway.

On top of that most sites say that the minimum for any fish I've seen suggested for 10 gallons is 30 to 40 so I have no idea if a single one of these could be in the 13.5.

Any help with this list or any suggestions if this wouldn't work would be greatly appreciated.

lg-113382-0828201-205.jpg

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the assessor, but all the others (including the dottyback) will be fine in the Evo. An alternative to the aggressor might be an azure damsel.
I have a blood red fire shrimp (cleaner) and my watchman absolutely let’s it clean him. But, pistol shrimp hunt other shrimp. Adding them together could become a very expensive meal for the pistol. You would probably choose between a pistol, or cleaner.
A banded coral shrimp is also considered a cleaner, and their extra long antenna make them look impressive, but I’m not sure how they get along with gobies.
When I consolidated tanks and returned my pistol to the LFS, I watched the mood of my watchman change. He acted depressed, went without eating for a time and hid for days. But, he’s finally bonding with the cleaner and now his biggest worry is getting bullied a little in the evenings by my lawnmower blenny.
Good luck and I hope your tank is all you hope it will be.
P.S.
My neon dottyback was super energetic, great personality, cleaned small pests from the live rock, had beautiful coloration in my 14 gallon Biocube.

OP
OP
G

gatling02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the assessor, but all the others (including the dottyback) will be fine in the Evo. An alternative to the aggressor might be an azure damsel.
Thanks, side thing but do you know why sites like live aquaria list every fish and invert over 3 inches as needing at least 30 gallons. Seeing that conficlt with what any person says has been why its so hard for me to figure out what I could have.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep a pair of bengai cardinals, and a dottyback. My cardinals eat a lot though compared to my clowns and dottyback. So your nutrients might get high with these three. But they don’t require a lot of space to thrive.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, side thing but do you know why sites like live aquaria list every fish and invert over 3 inches as needing at least 30 gallons. Seeing that conficlt with what any person says has been why its so hard for me to figure out what I could have.
Probably liability. I've had a tang in a 25-gallon and it just did fine. There are many fish you can have in a 13.5- gallon - the trick is just not to overload it with fish of a similar type, ie: all swimmers, all rock dwellers, etc.

OP
OP
G

gatling02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blood red fire shrimp (cleaner) and my watchman absolutely let’s it clean him. But, pistol shrimp hunt other shrimp. Adding them together could become a very expensive meal for the pistol. You would probably choose between a pistol, or cleaner.
A banded coral shrimp is also considered a cleaner, and their extra long antenna make them look impressive, but I’m not sure how they get along with gobies.
When I consolidated tanks and returned my pistol to the LFS, I watched the mood of my watchman change. He acted depressed, went without eating for a time and hid for days. But, he’s finally bonding with the cleaner and now his biggest worry is getting bullied a little in the evenings by my lawnmower blenny.
Good luck and I hope your tank is all you hope it will be.
P.S.
My neon dottyback was super energetic, great personality, cleaned small pests from the live rock, had beautiful coloration in my 14 gallon Biocube.
Yeah I hadnt considered a dottyback until I saw that beautiful black and blue one when I was at my LFS recently, but I wasnt sure if they were aggressive or not.

Thats what I figured with the pistol shrimp, my LFS doesn't sell them paired anyway. And from what I've seen they'll either pair in a few days, or never try again so Id be risking them not pairing too.

Have you had a skunk cleaner, if so would you say that its as active interacting with the fish as the blood fire, as the blood fire is more vibrant, but Ive read their more timid too.

And if you have any info on the assessor it be appreciated, I swear no one owns any. Either way thanks this was a big help.

OP
OP
G

gatling02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep a pair of bengai cardinals, and a dottyback. My cardinals eat a lot though compared to my clowns and dottyback. So your nutrients might get high with these three. But they don’t require a lot of space to thrive.
Has your dottyback ever bothered the cardinals? I dont even know where Ive seen that they were aggressive and I might be confusing them with damsels. And are the cardinals active swimmers? I know theres not much room for an active swimmer but even though cardinals look good, Ive always preffered anything thats active even if its bland, and I didnt think they were but Im not sure.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally have a pair of designer clowns. They would look great in a tank that size. You could also probably get the dotty back or Goby pistol pair as well.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need room for different reasons. Territorial reasons, exercise, the bio load that fish puts on a system, and generally considering humane treatment. Not getting those right can dramatically lower the fish’s life expectancy and quality of life, cause aggression and stress.

OP
OP
G

gatling02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need room for different reasons. Territorial reasons, exercise, the bio load that fish puts on a system, and generally considering humane treatment. Not getting those right can dramatically lower the fish’s life expectancy and quality of life, cause aggression and stress.
Kinda feel stupid now becauss coming from freshwater, seeing so many 3" fish needing 30 gallons at minimum was a little weird, but when I actually thought abput it, reefs are a heck of a lot bigger than streams or lakes tend to be.

You said the goby dotty, shrimp would work fine in this tank though right? Also the assessor seems to be similar in behavior and needs as a royal gramma, both are basslests the assessor is just a little more shy. For reference do you think a gramma wouls do well in this tank.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally have a pair of designer clowns. They would look great in a tank that size. You could also probably get the dotty back or Goby pistol pair as well.
A pair of clowns, due to how territorial they are, can require a minimum of 30-55 gallons. My bonded Clarkii pair needed 55 and still bullied everything else; even nipped the antenna off my cleaner shrimp and try to force my blue streak cleaner wrasse to jump out of the tank.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hadnt considered a dottyback until I saw that beautiful black and blue one when I was at my LFS recently, but I wasnt sure if they were aggressive or not.

Thats what I figured with the pistol shrimp, my LFS doesn't sell them paired anyway. And from what I've seen they'll either pair in a few days, or never try again so Id be risking them not pairing too.

Have you had a skunk cleaner, if so would you say that its as active interacting with the fish as the blood fire, as the blood fire is more vibrant, but Ive read their more timid too.

And if you have any info on the assessor it be appreciated, I swear no one owns any. Either way thanks this was a big help.
Skunk is one I haven’t owned and your post of the assessor was the first I’ve heard. Sorry
I wouldn’t take advice about fish unsuited to your size tank here, though. You want to be a good pet parent.

OP
OP
G

gatling02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't just normal ocellaris clowns work?
They never really appealed to me. I see them everywhere too so it doesnt really feel unique at all for me. Plus I dont really like there swimming pattern of up and down in one spot more or less very much. Im picky as hell basically.

OP
OP
G

gatling02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skunk is one I haven’t owned and your post of the assessor was the first I’ve heard. Sorry
I wouldn’t take advice about fish unsuited to your size tank here, though. You want to be a good pet parent.
Yeah it seems no one has. I love ita coloration but Im starting to feel like theres some reason no one has them but I cant figure out what it might be. Thank you anyways you were a massive help.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They never really appealed to me. I see them everywhere too so it doesnt really feel unique at all for me. Plus I dont really like there swimming pattern of up and down in one spot more or less very much. Im picky as hell basically.
Normal ocellaris designer clowns.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clowns does that up and down swimming pattern but my other one is friendly and enjoys swimming around the rock work looking for pods in between feedings. All depends on the fish. :)

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't just normal ocellaris clowns work?
A pair require 30 gallons. They are very territorial once they bond to a location.
I mean, they’re goofballs that could bond to just about anything - power head, return nozzle - I had one abandon its anemone and bond with a goniapora?? They’re weird.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back