Caribsea Liferock Verdict

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the verdict on Caribsea Liferock? I know it's not live. But, will it work? I don't want to spend $25/lb on Australian live, or $140 total for 20lb from Tampa Live if I can get 20lb life rock for $75 and ultimately get the same end product. I've seen stuff about not getting Coraline or it not being porous because it's painted. I'm just trying to set up a 15 gallon cube. I'd appreciate any input.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the verdict on Caribsea Liferock? I know it's not live. But, will it work? I don't want to spend $25/lb on Australian live, or $140 total for 20lb from Tampa Live if I can get 20lb life rock for $75 and ultimately get the same end product. I've seen stuff about not getting Coraline or it not being porous because it's painted. I'm just trying to set up a 15 gallon cube. I'd appreciate any input.
It is not the same, not even in the end, well maybe in 10 years…but you can set up a tank with life rock or dry rock. Many do it. It just may take longer to stabilize. Especially if you want SPS.

If you just want beginner corals and fish for awhile then it isn’t as big of an impact. The one down side is pests can sometimes be more of a problem because there are no competitors in a young tank. Just need to be on the look out and never let your nutrients hit 0.

Upvote 0

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use both, liferock has more potential for aquascaping and Australian live (what I would use) will seed the tank with diversity.

Upvote 0

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 30% live rock from my old tank, and 70% caribsea liferock. After a couple months it's all covered in Coraline, etc, just like all my live rock. Haven't had any issues, tank is stable and coral is growing really well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aaron75

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the responses coming. So far I have 2 great reviews and 2 that leave me on the fence.
Been using nothing but caribsea LR for all my FOWLR for the past few years - so far so good!
Years huh, that's promising? Did it fade or chip or anything like that?

Upvote 0

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the responses coming. So far I have 2 great reviews and 2 that leave me on the fence.

Years huh, that's promising? Did it fade or chip or anything like that?
No chipping but some did fade a little

Upvote 0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely go with at least some live rock from the ocean for the biodiversity... although it's definitely possible to have a successful tank with all dry rock, the biodiversity live ocean rock gives you will speed up the maturation process, lessen the ugly stage depending on how much you use you may be able to totally bypass that stage, and you can't really artificially recreate the bacterial diversity found on wild or maricultured live rock...first two statements are my opinions but the last is a fact

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely go with at least some live rock from the ocean for the biodiversity... although it's definitely possible to have a successful tank with all dry rock, the biodiversity live ocean rock gives you will speed up the maturation process, lessen the ugly stage depending on how much you use you may be able to totally bypass that stage, and you can't really artificially recreate the bacterial diversity found on wild or maricultured live rock...first two statements are my opinions but the last is a fact
I have a plan/idea... we ship @AydenLincoln some real live rock she will have to put it in something... Then she will discover "The Magic" LOL...

Upvote 0

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. You can get some really cool shapes to work with. It's a nice color (I've also tried "RealReef" Rock and it's too reddish looking for my taste). I've had some minor chips on mine when receiving shipped pieces, and unfortunately it is white underneath, BUT I was able to glue some little chips back on just fine and covered any other white spots with purple marco cement. It IS heavy though, and dense, just be aware. I actually like the weight since I have fish who burrow around the base of it and I know it won't move. To make up for the lack of as much porosity as other types of rock, I have a bunch of MarinePure bioballs in my filter for extra biological filtration, and a 3-4" sandbed. Last big plus - no hitchhikers (some people consider that a minus, but not me). So basically, I give it two thumbs up, lol.

Upvote 0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not live???

Thumbsdown GIF - Thumbs Down Mama June Hate GIFs

:grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes: ;)

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back