carlsj2012's Reefer 250 Build - New to Reefing

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening fellow Reefers!

It's been a bit since I introduced myself in the lounge, but I'm finally getting to the point of pulling the trigger on the order. I just need some help from you guys with my cabinet set-up/compatibility/future planning. Once I'm confident in the plan, I will be putting in the order through my LFS. I asked the manager for his two cents, and much of what I have chosen as equipment was based on his recommendations. So lets start out with the equipment list:

1) Return Pump - Neptune COR20
2) Protein Skimmer - ReaSea RSK300
3) Pumps/Wavemaker - Ecotech Vortech and Reefwave
4) Heater - Haven't picked anything yet, but I would like to have two smaller ones in case one fails
5) Filtration - Will stick with the socks that come with the Reefer 250. The manager told me he didn't think the roller filters were worth it.
6) Controller - I'm still pretty new to the nutrient requirements of a reef tank, but after a bit of reading, I was thinking of running the Neptune APEX with APEX DOS for two-part dosing system. Thoughts?
7) I have two AI Prime HD Reefs from my old freshwater tank.

I also need to acquire an RO system, I figured around 100 gpd would be good? I'll actually be using it for this tank plus a freshwater tank. Both Reefer 250s.

This reef tank is to be coral focused. I'm still struggling a bit between sand or bare-bottom, so your thoughts would be appreciated there as well.

I would also like to hear how you do water changes. I've only ever used the python system in my freshwater tank, which obviously won't work here. Just buckets and pumps?

Thanks in advance folks. Really looking forward to this build.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@carlsj2012 I left you feedback on your everything Apex thread. I’ve got a Reefer 250 too and just love it. You can see my build thread by clicking or tapping on my Build Thread Badge below my username towards the top of my post here. It’s a hot-link that will take you there. I will be following your thread here and can’t wait to see your journey unfold.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@carlsj2012 I left you feedback on your everything Apex thread. I’ve got a Reefer 250 too and just love it. You can see my build thread by clicking or tapping on my Build Thread Badge below my username towards the top of my post here. It’s a hot-link that will take you there. I will be following your thread here and can’t wait to see your journey unfold.
@carlsj2012 oh my badge I mentioned is gone. It sometimes goes away when the moderators change something in your user profile. Just a glitch in the R2R website. I’ll alert a moderator.

OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been diving deep into the Apex literature, only to determine what features I may want to use. When looking at the DOS, I found the DDR. I like the look of it, and the fact that it comes with sensors that work with the Apex, however the reviews seem aweful. A lot of sensors failing, and someone else mentioned the electronics circuit board mounted inside the too lid isn't even protected from the water? Is this still how they are built?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been diving deep into the Apex literature, only to determine what features I may want to use. When looking at the DOS, I found the DDR. I like the look of it, and the fact that it comes with sensors that work with the Apex, however the reviews seem aweful. A lot of sensors failing, and someone else mentioned the electronics circuit board mounted inside the too lid isn't even protected from the water? Is this still how they are built?
@carlsj2012 the circuit was never inside the lid, the circuits for the DDR have always been inside the DOS. There are a lot of jerks in the hobby who don’t like the Apex because they’re overwhelmed by the immensity of technology and they bash the Apex because they’re bored and have nothing better to do. That’s where you’re getting most of the negative reviews in my experience.

OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update for you all. With feedback from R2R members, I have compiled a finalized list of equipment which I have sent to my LFS, Aquarium Illusions. Haven't heard back yet on the pricing side of things, hope to hear back from them soon.

2x Red Sea Reefer 250 (One reef, one freshwater)
1x Red Sea RSK300
1x Apex COR-15 (after eyeing up the COR-20, I decided the COR-15 would better suit my flow requirements)
1x Neptune Systems Apex system
1x Apex DOS
1x Neptune DDR
2x Echotech MP10 (Seems mixed on glass thickness issues. I'll try them out)
2x Jager TruTemp 100W (Both heaters will be running, but if one fails to shutdown, it's unlikely to overheat the tank)
1x RODI Classic 100gpd
20# CaribSea Life Rock

I will also be modifying the overflow piping to change out the bellow valve to a gate valve.

I decided to go bare-bottom. With less bio from the sand, I'm looking at getting something like Matrix in a mesh back to store in the sump. This way I can also transfer some to the quarantine tank as needed when new inhabitants and corals arrive, while maintaining enough bio-filtration in the main tank.

Is it a bad idea to move bio-media to and from quarantine tank back to sump?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a bad idea to move bio-media to and from quarantine tank back to sump?
@carlsj2012 whoa!!! That’s an idea I ran across a long time ago and totally forgot about it. I have been thinking about a way to get biological filtration in my quarantine/frag/hospital tank for awhile now. Thanks this will do the trick.

OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@carlsj2012 whoa!!! That’s an idea I ran across a long time ago and totally forgot about it. I have been thinking about a way to get biological filtration in my quarantine/frag/hospital tank for awhile now. Thanks this will do the trick.
Would transfering back to main tank risk contamination, or not so much?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would transfering back to main tank risk contamination, or not so much?
You would have to be careful and it depends on the parasite how you would avoid contamination. A lot of parasites die if they go too long without a host. So if you removed all the fishes from the QT, left the block in there long enough, you’re probably golden. You can find out from the fish disease forum on how to do that.

OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't made a post in a while, so I figured I would give a short update. The tanks and equipment have been ordered. I am now just waiting impatiently for them to arrive.

I was working on my plumbing plans and have a question. I will be upgrading the RedSea valve to a gate valve, and was wondering if there's a benefit to upgrade the plumbing to 1" on the drain and the return? I don't have a reactor(s) or sterilizer to run through, so I think maybe keeping things 3/4" is best. Let me know your experience!

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't made a post in a while, so I figured I would give a short update. The tanks and equipment have been ordered. I am now just waiting impatiently for them to arrive.

I was working on my plumbing plans and have a question. I will be upgrading the RedSea valve to a gate valve, and was wondering if there's a benefit to upgrade the plumbing to 1" on the drain and the return? I don't have a reactor(s) or sterilizer to run through, so I think maybe keeping things 3/4" is best. Let me know your experience!
Hey @carlsj2012! I also have the RSR 250 and did my own plumbing. When I switched everything over, I moved it all to standard 1". The returns on the bottom of the RSR 250 / 350 are all 32mm which on conversion is pretty close to the regular 1". I bought the coralvue 32mm to 1" unions and used that to solve the conversion problem. No real reason to use 1" over 3/4" aside from piece of mind. Personally, I'd rather have more flow than less.

Good luck with the build. Will be following along. Feel free to reach out with any questions!

OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assembled the first stand and got the tank on it. Looks really nice, and no spare parts laying around! Woohoo! I then assembled the second stand...I have 6 extra nubs left over. I didn't think much of it last night, but it was the first thing I thought of this morning. Guess I have to disassemble it now and figure out where these extra pieces are supposed to be. Maybe they are "extra", but it's not sitting well with me. There were a few distractions last night as I was assembling. Might have missed a step....

I'll try to get some photos up soon.

OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so I haven't been updating much! Reading my last post, I'll go from there....

I did end up disassembling the stand and sure enough, I missed some nubs in step 1 or 2. Glad I took it apart!

Beyond that, the tanks have just been sitting there collecting dust as I navigate the hectic life with 4 children and shift work.

These past couple of weeks, I did manage to get some work done on the reef tank! Using @Eight IKEA hack to add some separation between the sump and the dry side worked really well. I ended up not installing the shelf half way up, as I felt it was just too tight in there. I also grabbed the IKEA peg board, but might pull it out. I don't see how I can mount anything to it, maybe @Eight could give me some tips on mounting to the peg board?

The sump is mostly complete, but I do have some questions here. The Reefer250 came with a sock and a plastic frame. Do I just hang the sock freely and fill the frame with bio-media?

Things left to do:
1) Hook up the RO system and temporary SW mix station
2) Cable management
3) Hardscaping
4) Decide if I really want bare bottom or if I prefer the look of sand.....
5) Leak Checking
6) Cycling!!!!!!

I swear I'll get some pictures up eventually. For now, just use your imagination!

OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, took a loooong time, but I've managed to finish installing everything under the cabinet. Next I can work on the RO system and figure out a hardscape. I've decided to go with sand, for a more natural look. And look! Pictures!

Tank on the left is the reef tank, on the right will be freshwater. Cabling behind the tank is pretty messy, but I really don't know how to manage it. At least it looks okay inside the cabinet!

Attachments

• 20220316_134708.jpg
    20220316_134708.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220316_134729.jpg
    20220316_134729.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220316_134735.jpg
    20220316_134735.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220316_134502.jpg
    20220316_134502.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
carlsj2012

carlsj2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220328_204645.jpg
20220329_002417.jpg
20220331_193240.jpg

So there we have it, the final products. I had to use a bit of cement to connect the pieces together, but all in all I like the end product. It's been 24 hours since I started the cycling process.

Attachments

• 20220328_204102.jpg
    20220328_204102.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220329_002837_190.jpg
    IMG_20220329_002837_190.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 27

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back