Carole's 150

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a used 150 gallon tank today. The guy is draining it and will have it ready for me hopefully Friday.

It will be in my garage until next week... when I can sand it... and paint it black...as it doesn't match my furniture....then we'll be taking down my 65 (hoping for some help from my LFS with this) and transferring the contents to this tank... will post progress pictures.

I'll have to buy a lot more sand. Not sure if I should ask the LFS to keep my fish for a week or two for me...to make sure I don't kill them....

Here are the two shots I got..no full tank shot..there was no space in his room to stand back and take one...so I took one of the corner of the stand..and the sump.

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This purchase has basically turned into a nightmare. Got the tank home...after moving it in the pouring rain...and found a spot on the bottom back seam that had been siliconed over... that wasn't visible when the tank was up and running... the glass has scalloped gouge out of it.

The guy I got it from won't take it back...and is not offering any money back on it...so I'm had to order a new tank... because even though he says it doesn't leak..as he had it setup...I'm not trusting it on my new wood floors...and wouldn't want to worry about it every day.

After having the new tank ordered...I measured the stand..and its a different size by a few inches on each side..so I'm going to have to take it apart...and modify it...then put it back together...this has been a bum deal all the way around.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is supposed to be here on Wednesday... and my LFS and business partner (Rob) in InsaneCorals is going to deliver it thursday or friday... and help me set it up and transfer the contents...

So Tuesday ... I have to figure out how to make it two inches longer... my gf's dad said I should be able to just run another 2x4 on both sides...then one or two on the inside of the back (since the old was 70x22 and the new is 72x18).

I'm going to probably do this..as well as re-inforce the back with some 4x4s ... just because I'm paranoid about the whole thing falling apart or something. I'm sure Rob will check it out and let me know if its not sound before setting up.

Then I have to get some sort of new molding to go around the top...so that the extra 2x4s won't make it look ghetto... and then I'm going to sand it all and paint it black.

Good thing I took off work this week!

A guy from our local reef club is going to give me a good deal on an seio m1100 ... I think I need a couple more... will have to look around for good deals.

I'm starting out w/ just my 3ft VHOs in this tank..which I know aren't enough..but the money I had set aside for new lights..went for the new tank...so I'm going to have to see if I can find a good deal on matching used 3ft VHOs ... or save up for something new...and just concentrate the corals under the VHOs for now. ( The tank came w/ a 6ft light that is crap..just acintic flourescents in a shop light... they can supplement the other light for now..til I get something else ).

Since I"m already going to be messing w/ the stand..I figure eventually I can make the canopy taller...so maybe I can do metal hallides in the future... but can't spend too much money as I've already gone over budget on this..and my gf isn't happy w/ me ... after all.. I made her and a friend move a freaking heavy tank in the pouring rain ... and it ended up being no good ( of course if they hadn't insisted in not waiting for the rain to let up..and gave me more time to look it over before they moved it... since I hadn't seen it drained of water... I might have noticed the problem before the sale was final..heh )

Anyways..if anyone has a used 3ft VHO setup they are interested in selling...or some working seio pumps they might be interested in selling...let me know. I also would be willing to do web work for such things too!

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..my gf doesn't trust my carpentry skills...she wants me to just eat the cost of my attempt at a 'used' tank/stand ... and buy a new stand/canopy.... so I have to talk to my LFS tomorrow about ordering me one...

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...new tank is up...the move only took 4 hours.

Still waiting on the lights...due to the holiday...probably won't get them til Tuesday...so for now I put my old canopy w/ VHOs over the tank.... pics tomorrow...or monday...have company in from out of town so might not get a chance to take them tomorrow.

Need to figure out how to quiet the sump down..it is loud...can be heard throughout the house.....will post pics of this as well

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More rock will be coming in this week from my 46 gallon as I'll be taking that down...I've done minimal aquascaping due to family being in for a visit...and waiting to see how things look with the actual lighting in (should be here tomorrow)

3.jpg

4.jpg

The red specks in the picture on the glass are the reflections of my christmas tree lights.... took me a minute to figure that out...

Corals are still settling in...fish all seem fine...I'm assuming the corals will be better once I get the actual canopy w/ MHs on there..instead of my old VHOs...

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R.I.P. Toadstool Leather.... had this since I started my 65 ... was up to the size of a dinner plate (you can kind of see it in those pics in the center w/ a slime on part of it).

Last week ... before the tank move.. it started looking kind of funny.... business partner told me it was molting...... I don't know if the tank move stressed it out too much..or if it was just dying ... not molting...but it began falling apart this morning..and the fish were nipping at it... so finally I made the decision to remove it :( ... I have one small baby that I snipped from under the canopy a while ago... its only a few cm wide ... but I guess it will grow as big as this one did....

Other notes....lights still aren't in yet....kind of bummed about that...guess they are running behind because Monday was a holiday.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pics finally!! Not sure I'm liking these lights over my VHOs...they seem blue even though they are the white MHs.... ( coralife 250w super daylight ) ...

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks lovely! I really like the rosettes the green hammer makes...
:D
Laurie

kappaknight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question for ya... why didn't you just do a leak test from the beginning? Leave it in your garage, fill it with water and let it run for a week.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because ... even if it didn't leak to begin with...I'd look at it every day...and say to myself... " is today the day it starts leaking and ruins the wood floors...and everything dies "?

It was really just a peace of mind decision.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I added a 4 inch cooling fan tonite.

I am sick with the flu really bad...so sort of just threw it on there... I didn't mess with the metal guard that goes over it ... as I pretty much feel like poopie **** and just wanted to get it on there quick today..and mess with it more later.

Anyhow... I looked at the back of the canopy...between the tank top..and the canopy..and it was a perfect fit...I just lifted the canopy up a smidge...set the fan in there..and put it down..and I didn't even have to screw anything in. I don't think any weight is actually being supported by the fan...like I said..it was pretty much a perfect fit..so the canopy is just holding it in place.

I will probably take it back off and screw the guard on after I feel better...even though I don't really think it's necessary. It's against a wall...well an inch or so away from it..and I don't forsee me sticking my finger in there..heh.

The tank stayed at 81 tonite..although I'm not sure if it was the fan..or the cooler temperature in the house from it being cold ( we keep our heat on 68 )... I'll have to monitor it when the temps go back up.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...and I have two interesting things happening in the tank.

I have a red flower anemone...that I've had for over 1.5yrs... it split into two..I guess from the stress of the tank move.

I also noticed where I cut out my toadstool mentioned in an earlier post...that it appears to be growing again from where there were bits of the base left... will have to snap some pics this weekend.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back